cycling problem or not enough filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cycling problem or not enough filter?

ok. So my big puffer tank is having issues.

150 gallons. one large Jebo

and a large HOB filter with a simple wet dry action (bubbles up though a mesh where bacteria colonize)

I wasn't having any issues till a few weeks ago when i noticed some of my guppies belly up. I did an emergency water change and tested water for ammonia and nitrates. nitrates were fine but my ammonia was at about 2ppm.

I also have some hornwort directly under the light, enough light to cause O2 bubbles on occation. Not sure if thats helping but it's growing well

I've noticed the color on the cories changes as ammonia rises. they get pale and I know I need to change the water.

with one 7-8 inch puffer, 2 cory, and a few guppies am I overloading my filters or might I have damaged the bacteria in some way?
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Re: cycling problem or not enough filter?

Maybe something happened to shock the bacteria.

I personally don't think the filtration is adequate to circulate the tank but it shouldn't have problems though.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Weird. When you say nitrates are "fine," what exactly do you mean?

I'm thinking that even though the filtration seems as though it should be enough, it's not able to handle everything. It should be converting all the ammonia into nitrates eventually. How long has this tank been set up, again? I forget...sorry.  
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

that would be my first question, how long has it been up and running, and if it has been running for over a couple of months with the current load, what else has changed?
        GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

I think the tank has been running for some time now from the other thread and the jebo is somewhat new right gt3? Basically enough time for it to have established itself.

Maybe you did a water change and cleaned the filters at one time?

Are the guppies in that tank feeders? I'm guessing they are since they are in with a puffer so it might be that they were sickly to begin with and them dieing on you spiked the ammonia. The tank has a bio-load for one puffer and you added guppies which added to it in which it didn't help either that they died.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I had the tank in the garage to make sure it was leak free for a few months. the tank was running for a week with the new filter before the puffer. and i've had it running for at least 2 months sence i got the puffer.

I don't think i've ever cleaned the filter because for the longest time i had no gravel or anything with him. The jebo was just a big bio filter. It may however have run dry for some time when the water got below the intake.

the guppies were feeders but have been with me in one tank or another for a long time. I put them in there to test the puffers temperment. (he's getting along with everyone) I didn't loose a single fish untill the ammonia rose. and pulled the dead immidiately.

My only guess is it ran dry at some point and killed bacteria. but i have a big sponge filter on the intake so there is alot of bacteria still on that. this one has stumped me so i bought some ammonia remover. i'll put it as the last stage in the jebo ( so the ammonia gets to the bio media first) and hope it stabilizes.
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
            n

Comment

Well things are looking better. the guppies who had been up at the surface are now swiming through all depths of the tank. the cories are showing much better color now also.
              n

Comment

Sounds like you just went through a cycle then, at least to me.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                X