Real water help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real water help...

So I have not worried much about my water for a long time- been keeping my tanks going for about 3 1/2 years now doing as always- water changes, cleaning, etc. with no major problems- had ciclids, had goldfish, had tropicals, etc.

But recently I have decided to try and grow lots of plants and in both tanks (each 20 gallons).  So since I have given away many of my fish  (they had grown too big or not good with plants), I'm going to be adding some new fish and shrimp soon- but it seems not as soon as I'd like.

You see I decided since I was doing all this re-scaping and in joining this board I wanted to test my water-

Well I've discovered something I didn't know- both tanks are VERY high in nitrates and 1 tank is very low pH between 5.8-6.4 and I can't seem to raise it, the other tank has just recently dropped from 7-7.4 to 6.5ish.  And the pH-Up chemical isn't seeming to work consistantly.

On 1 tank I am using (or should say trying to get to work) the Turbo CO[sub:ee9748e48c]2[/sub:ee9748e48c] from redsea- as of tonight it will have been 48 hours since I started it- it has yet to create enough pressure to flow any CO[sub:ee9748e48c]2[/sub:ee9748e48c]- I think my condo might be a little cold for it to work well.  But htis unit is onteh 6.5ish tank, not the low tank.

Now the very low pH tank the fish are fine and have been for for months so I know they are used to it and I don't want ot raise that pH too quickly- while my other tank I only have a few shrimp, a pipefish, and a albino cory to worry about.  A half point in pH won't kill them if I raise it quickly-

Anyhow- what is the best products to get to balance the pH & keep it there? And is there anything to remove nitrates?    

Thanks!

Re: Real water help...

If the pH is consistantly staying at 5.8-6.4, and your fish are happy, there's really not a reason to change anything. There are lots of plants that can do well in that environment. The most important thing is that the pH is consistant.  

"Now the very low pH tank the fish are fine and have been for for months so I know they are used to it and I don't want ot raise that pH too quickly"    Exactly my point!

On the other tank, how quickly did the pH drop? And was it consistant before? Have you tried testing at different times in the day?

I'd advise you not to use pH-Up. Altering the pH chemically can be a really dangerous thing to do. First, I'd try to find a reason why the pH is at such a level. And if everyone's happy, I'd leave it as long as it's stable.

If for some reason you really need to raise the pH, consider a buffering substrate or something similar.

The great news - adding plants helps with nitrates!  :)  I've actually measured 0 nitrates in a few of my tanks that are well established and heavily planted.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Is the CO2 on the tank with the low Ph?

Comment

thanks for some info-

the other tank that had the pH drop- I measure at random points- ie like right now- same pH as it has been for 2 days now.  I suspect it maybe the new substrate (Amazonia by ADA) for the plants and the addition of CO[sub:62b62ae761]2[/sub:62b62ae761] to the one tank.  

And if this isn't a big deal then you're right I won't worry- the question then becomes, which tropical fish (not ciclids) don't like such low pH- so I know which poor souls not to torture.

Comment

Most asian & south american fish are from rain forest areas which are soft acid water.

I keep driftwood and plants in my tanks to help lower the pH and hardness.  

The nitrates are the result of the decay of organic matter (fish poop & dead plant leaves) They are good fertilizer for the plants but if you have no plants and don't do water changes they will build up.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Hmm...like PhishPhreek said, there are quite a lot of fishes that are from this type of water...Do you have an idea of what species you want to keep?

Besides RLCs, some (a lot of) livebearers prefer a higher pH and harder water. And, of course, brackish fish!

Otherwise, you've got a huge amount of fishes to choose from.    Tetras, barbs, rasboras, corys, killies, SA and (some)CA cichlids...and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownsnoutuk";p="
              Is the CO2 on the tank with the low Ph?
              That's the odd part- no.  Both tanks are right next to each other and for what ever reason it has a real low pH.

I've got drift wood in both-

Later tonight I'll post some pics- tanks are finally clearing up enough to look nice- now to just keep some of these plants in the substrate- Darn Dragon fish and Flying foxes keep knocking different plants loose each night- replant, replant, replant.

As long as every feels plenty of fish to choose from- then I'll be fine.

I'll just go at like a I normally do- buy what i feel like and see if I can make it work!      

Well I hope to meet many of you at the Auction...

Comment

You probably want to think about moving the dragon fish - they're brackish species and he most likely won't like the soft water and low pH.

Comment

Well teh dragon fish have been in teh tank with the low pH for about 2 months now- and have each grown (yes 2) about 3 inches- they are getting big.

I planted both tanks- just much less in the dragon fish tank.

Comment

Comment

Hmmm good to know.  I'll have to do a slow conversion...  Always wanted a brackish tank- guess now is as good as time as any.  

hmmm think I'll start a new posting tonight looking for reccommendations...

Look what you've now done Mzungu!  I live in 77063 too and I'm sure my wife will want to have a few words with you!      

Comment

Heehee! I just posted in your new thread, but I've also always wanted a brackish tank and I'm getting one the same way you are - buying a fish and finding out it's brackish! Hmm...maybe I subconsciously knew this...

Comment

Working...
                        X