Odyssea CFS4 Noise Issues???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odyssea CFS4 Noise Issues???

Has anyone used one of these and if so, was yours incredibly noisy?  What can you take apart to clean besides the obvious?  Any help would be nice.  Got this one used and don't really know if something is missing or not.  The noise is obviously the impeller but I can't see why or what is missing alignment wise that would create the noise.

Re: Odyssea CFS4 Noise Issues???

are the rubber ends still there on the impellar rod? impellar itself really loose on the magnet? gouged magnet?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The ends are there.  As far as being really loose on the magnet...do you mean linear movement along the rod axis?

Comment

the only thing that moves on a mag-pump is the impeller.
        If it is making noise then :
        A) the 2 rubber bushings are worn out
        B) the well is full of debris
        C) the impeller has come loose from the shaft (impeller does not spin when magnet spins)
        D) someone replaced the impeller with one not properly sized (Axel too short or impeller too big)
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thanks for all of your input.  My LFS sells this one so I am going to take the impeller to them to make sure it is the right one for the application.

Comment

Please let us know what they say - I'm having a similar problem. And thanks for the ideas, PhishPhreek! I'll try those tonight.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Is it not suctioning right? I don't think it's a bad impellar. When I setup my Odyssea canisters, I thought a couple were bad because they were noisey, but they weren't bad after I messed with it for a while. Look to see if you installed the top basket in right. The top basket gave me trouble in 2 canisters. Is there a pocket of air right under the top basket?

Comment

I will have to check...but it has plenty of suction and pumps equally.  I tested it in my sink before ever hooking it up to the tank that it was going on to make sure everything worked properly.  Plus I still need to order inlet and outlet pipes that go into the aquarium.

Comment

I've heard that if there is an air pocket where the impeller seats in the motor housing that it will make noise.

Raul
                  Raul
                  PokerFace

Comment

How would you check for an air pocket when the unit is running?  I understand why you would get chatter if you had one because you wouldn't get constant flow.  The impeller sits down in the magnetic well and a vortex type cover piece fits over the top of it and that is it.  What I don't understand is how you would develop an air pocket there in the first place if the unit pushes water down to the bottom from the inlet and the water fills the baskets and back out through the outlet piping.  It would seem to me that when the cannister was full...that's how the water is pushed back out.  If you had an air pocket...you wouldn't get constant flow from the outlet.  It would essentially be like getting air in your water line going to your house like if you turn it off and let it set and then turn it back on.  It spits and sputters until the pocket is pushed out and then the line pressure equalizes.

Comment

Working...
                    X