Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much filtration is overkill???

I got the new 100 gallon in....

I'm planning on filtering it with two magnum 350 pros and one Eheim Classic 2217.
    Is this too much filtration...not enough???

I'm in need of your expert opinions yet again. (:
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
    Alexa Rae
    Co-President of CAK
    MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Re: how much filtration is overkill???

Depends on what kind of fish you plan on keeping.....

It might be a bit much if you are keeping guppies and mollies but decent for cichlids.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It doesn't sound like overkill to me.  If you are going to be keeping some boisterous cichlids then you should be fine.
      Join us at
      http://www.allworldcichlids.com/

Comment

I'm not keeping those little terror fish!!! lol. I had horrible cichlid experiences.

I do have a few fancy guppies and whatnot...

Which filter should I take off?? One of the magnums?
        Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
        Alexa Rae
        Co-President of CAK
        MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

That sounds like a good amount of filtration. I use two magnum's on a 125g and two CFS 4's on the other 125g.

Like the others have stated, depends on how many fish you got in that bad boy. One of my 125g has 15 black calvus, 6 goldheads, 2 catfish, 5 loaches, and 3 peacocks. The other has 31 peacocks and some loaches.

Overkill to me would be if the fish are stuck to the glass because the water coming out the filters is moving so fast they can not swim, anything less than that is all good.

Comment

Try it first to see if the fish are ok with it.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by cichlidsooner";p="
              Overkill to me would be if the fish are stuck to the glass because the water coming out the filters is moving so fast they can not swim, anything less than that is all good.
              LMAO!     You just kill me!  I pictured something that Tim the Tool Man from ToolTime would do...LOL.  

RT
              Raul
              PokerFace

Comment

That laugh is for you, glad you enjoyed it,I just showed my little(big) brother what I typed and he almost fell over also. But is there any more truth then that? Never an over kill on filtration unless your fish are stuck to the glass, i would do the tool man sound but i am to country to spell it out!! See you Sunday!!

Comment

As I know it, you can't over filter.  I can see maybe that if they produce too much current, but it would take more than 2 filters to do that, problably a lot more.  

Because of the length of the 100 gallon, two filters on both sides of the aquarium is best.  I found that when I had only one filter in my aquarium, that a lot of waste would accumulate on the side of the tank where the filter was not in because the suction of it wasn't strong enough to pull the waste from the other end.  Powerhead did little to help too.

When I placed another filter on that side, there was much less waste there if any.  So I think having two filters on both sides of the 100 is best thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X