Help with fish ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with fish ID

Found these at Petco in Humble. May be common, but I don't remember seeing them before. The tank was not marked and the guy there had no idea either. They look like a barb, the males have a red horizontal stripe and both the males and female have 2 black verticle spots, one toward the front and one toward the back. They both also have a neon blue spot behind the eye and their individual scales are edged in black which gives them kind of a checkered look. I could not find them by searching the web either. I have a first generation digital camera, so sorry for the picture quality.

Re: Help with fish ID

Guessing here - Barbus bimaculatus AKA the Two Spot Barb AKA the Red-Striped Barb.

Ellen

Comment

Thats it! Not sure why I could not find them on the web, I found every other kind of Barb. Not real sure why I have never seen them at the LFS either. Thanks, Ellen
      Brian

Comment

Cool find!
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Neat! So you have 3 of them, 2 males and a female? What are they like?
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Their temperament is more like a rosy or ruby barb, not like tiger barbs. They are beautiful fish with the red stripe that really stands out on the checkerboard body. Their fins are laced in black with black and white stripes. As they move around you get a glimpse of the neon blue dot behind their eye. They stand out and look great in the planted tank. I wish I had a better camera for more detailed pictures.

Comment

Working...
            X