powerhead undergravel jet system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powerhead undergravel jet system

i was reading an article about undergravel jet system using a powerhead.  That has givin me the idea to help my problem of worrying about deadspots.  If I do this with one power head in a 120 gallon tank with a spray bar at the top of one end of the tank, what would be the best pattern to setup the heads under gravel that i will build to direct the water flow?  should i make a circular flow pattern or is multiple directions best?  any ideas?

Re: powerhead undergravel jet system

Is this similiar to Reverse flow undergravel system using powerheads?

Comment

yeah i think so.  this is the article i was reading.   http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

it blows the water from the power head up from the gravel.  instead of sucking it.

Comment

I think his purpose is to keep debris from settling down the gravel. By keep them floating, eventually the filter or in his case, the sponge, will pick them up. I think multiple directions spray is better.

Comment

thanks

Comment

The Reverse Flow idea is, that if you pump clean filtered water under the filter plate, debris that settles on the gravel will stay at the surface, where it's easier to vacuum up, or become stirred up by the fish, so the filter can draw it in.
            Marineland puts out a "reverse flow filter kit" which is designed for use on
            the Marineland powerhead in a reverse flow underground filter set up. The
            kit comes with various connectors so you that it can be run as an
            independent sponge filter attached to a powerhead.
            I used  this system for  circulation  combined with a canister on a 55 gal and found none of the debris buildup under the filter plate found using the standard underground filter method.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I think the idea of the Undergravel jet filters is to keep the top of the sand clean where an UGF would not work since the sand will make it's way down underneath.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

btw in my post underground = undergravel. Like an underground gravel system would be effective in an aquarium..  :signduh:  :aua:

Comment

Working...
                X