Canister or HOB Filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canister or HOB Filter?

I neeed any and all advice guys. :?  I have a second floor apartment and I was thinking about purchasing a canister filter. My concern involves leaks. I have recently purchased a canister from one of the members of this forum and it leaked. the canister filter was a Jebo. Now, I understand that this is the cheapest filter going, but I thought that it may work pretty good on a small tank. First night I used the canister filter it had a small trickle leak coming from the clamps that attach the motor assembly to the canister base. This leak saturated a sizeable area in my carpet which leads to ny concern. Do any of you guys live in apartments on 2nd or 3rd floors and use a canister filter? I'm more worried about the canister leaking and causing a leak in the apartment underneath mine. Do you guys think I should just stick with the HOB filters? I really wanted to get a Rena Filstar or Eheim,  but if they have the tendancy to leak, I think I'll stick with the HOB filters. Any advice or replies will be muchly appreciated.

Re: Canister or HOB Filter?

I currently have 11 eheim cannister filters in use, most have been in use for seveal years and not one leaker. All 11 of these are upstairs in my own house, 6 of these are in a room directly over a room with big bucks worth of art work..... my wife would not tolerate any leaks
    GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Your jebo filter will fit inside a 5 Gallon bucket place it inside for protection from Leaks. (Keep a watch out for leaks)
      Things to watch out if you find leaks:
      1) Carbon or gravel in the Gasket ring of the filter. Remove gasket and clean and replace
      2) Trays are not lined up right
      3) To much Media in your trays. ( Use media socks inside your filter)
      4) Head does not fit on canister with out pushing down. That is also a good sign that there is a problem sealing
      5) The valve body is broken between the valve and the O ring seal. Becareful when installing the valves
      into the connectors they will break very easy. Aqua zoo has the valves and you can find them on line also.
      I have two Jebo filters working 250 gallons and doing a good job I have had trouble in the past and this is what I have found about this type of canister filters. Hope this helps

Comment

None of my Eheims have ever leaked but I do not have personal experience with the Jebos.
        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I like the hang on back filters because they are easy to do a quick change.  I use them on mid size tanks (15-45g)  in the fishroom.

I prefer canaster filters on the big tanks.
          In my fish room, I don't worry about small leaks and use a couple of 2nd hand canaster filters.   However there is a canister filter on the Big tank in the livingroom and I always keep it inside a 5g bucket - cheap insurance.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

WHAT ABOUT RENA FILSTAR? HAVE ANY OF YOU HEARD OF THEM LEAKING? SOME OF YOU STATED THAT I CAN KEEP THE CANISTER IN A 5GALLON BUCKET. SO DOES THAT MEAN THAT IF I DOES LEAK IT PROBALLY WON'T DRAIN THE ENTIRE TANK? I KNOW THAT SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS MAY SOUND "NEWBIE" BUT I JUST WANT ALL POSSIBLE INFO. BEFORE I MAKE A DECISION.

Comment

If the filter is in a bucket, then the first few gallons will stay in the bucket. Aslong as you check the bucket every day(or buy a watersensor with alarm) then it shouldnt have time to overflow the bucket.

Comment

The bucket is just for added insurance.

I have both eheim and filstar xp3 and neither leak and work great. I prefer canisters over HOB regardless of tank size.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have Eheim canister and small HOBs on my 26-55 gal tanks. I buy em cheap on Ebay so expense is low, but after seeing both in action I agree with all who think canister are the better of 2. And I have no leaks either.

Comment

I originally had HOB filters on my tanks years ago, but have since switched all but one to eheim canisters.  I even had an eheim with 2 broken clasps and chipped casing that never leaked because the o-ring kept a good seal.  

I'm with jklntx, but them cheap off ebay. Shoot, I would prefer a used eheim to a brand new jebo.

Comment

I personally like the bio wheel filters like the Emperor over canisters because they oxygenate the water with the air.  With canister filters, they push the water through the water column so it doesn't get as oxygenated.

Also because the bio wheels are saturated with oxygen, they remove ammonia and nitrites on contact.  So that would be my choice.

Comment

Having your output at the water surface accomplishes the same thing as the "bio-wheel".
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

for getting the water really clean, nothing beats a diatom filter.
                          but they plug up really fast and recharging them is a lot of work
                          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

The Magnum makes one and it works great and cheap!
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                            X