wet/dry filter???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wet/dry filter???

I've read the posts raving about wet/dry filters and I'm VERY intrested in buying one. Do they require a "sump"?
    Where can I buy one for a decent price that will filter out about 100 gallons or so?
    I'm also interested in some canister filters...any good places and locations?

I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand the hanging penguin filters.
    I have 2 on my 75 right now and they just aren't my thing.
    Are wet/dry filters really that much more effecient than hanging filters?

Again, thank you for all of your answers ahead of time.
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
    Alexa Rae
    Co-President of CAK
    MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Re: wet/dry filter???

Wet/dry filters are Hugungous bacteria filters! also they aerate the water to a whole new level!

Wet/dry filters all use somewhat of a sump unless it is a selfcontained unit like the the Eheim professional series.

I bought mine at the same time I bought my tanks so the price was lowered to reflect a pkg deal but most all LFS carry at least one wet/dry unit.

With the canisters I buy mine from drsfostersmith.com or from LFS friends.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The sump sounds like it may be a little too complicated for me. I am HORRIBLE when it comes to nitrates and balancing and whatnot.
      Are there "sump-less" wet/dry filters?
      Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
      Alexa Rae
      Co-President of CAK
      MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

HUH?

Nitrates is the end product of the nitrogen cycle which is removed by water changes.... a sump is just a tank where water from the fish tank dumps into.

Sumpless wet/dry would be the eheim professional wet/dry as stated in my previous post. I find that the conventional wet/dry is muc more simple to use and maintain then any canister there is.

If it's still too complicated then just stick with canisters with the output pointed at the water surface or level with so that it agitates it. I think a sealed wet/dry kinda defeats the purpose a bit and probably won't be as efficient but that's my personal opinion.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
          Wet/dry filters are Hugungous bacteria filters! also they aerate the water to a whole new level!
          I love wet/dry filters because they are so easy to build and they work so well.  The only draw backs are they are big and hard to hide and they lose a lot of water through evaporation because they splash/spray to increase gas partial pressure exchange (make the O2 & CO2 in the tank the same as in the air)  I would not recomend one if you are planing to add CO2 to your tank.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
          X