I NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE ON MOVING FISH TO NEW TANK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE ON MOVING FISH TO NEW TANK

I have a 55 gallon with african cichlids,  2 bala sharks, 2 green severum, 1 pleco, and 2 clown loaches.  I just bought a used 120 gallon aquarium and I purchased a Rena XP4 canistar filter.  What is the best and safest way to move the fish.  I am going to have to move the 55 out of the way, and then put the 120 in its place.  What should I do with the fish in the transfer and what should I do with the water so that I dont kill them???   I was told to set up the 120 and just use the old hang on the back filter for a month or so to get the biologicals up.  I was told that it would be ok to make the move and setup in one day but I dont know what to do with the fish for sure.  Please help anyone with some advice.  Thank you.

Re: I NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE ON MOVING FISH TO NEW TANK

Get some Rubbermaid tubs and dump the water into them from the tank along with all the inside deco and then even keep the fish in there if you like along with the filter that is running on the tank now.

If you plan to reuse the substrate that would help with the instant cycle of the new tank. Use the old filter on the new tank without cleaning it since it host a lot of your beneficial bacteria.

After all that just fill with some old water, old filter, substrate, deco, and then refill with some new water and de-chlor and then fish.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

agreed
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

hey one more question,  if i have a spray bar on in the tank for the output of the filter.  how to i make sure the water is well oxygenated.  do i need the spray bar on top to splash water or is it being fully underwater gonna do the job the same????

Comment

You should have it where it ripples the surface as much as possible.

Comment

Yup. As long as you have surface movement (i.e. not stagnant water), you'll have enough gas exchange going on to suffice.  :)
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

hey thanks guys.  I appreciate the help

Comment

Working...
              X