Fish Mart - 59N @ Tidwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Mart - 59N @ Tidwell

I've seen the place several times from the freeway, and finally made a point of going there.  

It's a larger place than I expected, and held a fair variety.  Things looked clean - maybe not brand-new sparkly clean, but average clean. I didn't see any tanks full of ich, fin/tail rot or dead fish.  

Most fish looked fairly content, with the exception of those like the peacock and tire track eels, who didn't have enough hiding spots in a bare tank with a small layer of gravel.  (Guys in those tanks seemed a bit nervous.)  Most tanks were set up that way though - some had hiding tubes and such for some of the shyer fish, but most were bare of decoration and plants.

A bit more variety than your typical Petco/Petsmart with some Arowanas, mud skippers (those were cute!), Fire-Belly newts, Gold Nugget Plecos, Albino Plecos, and regular Plecos (the plain brown ones, sorry I don't know the name for those),  Snowflake Eels, Red Cherry Shrimp, Amano Shrimp (at 1.99 each).  Pricing didn't seem outrageous, some were fair, a few seemed high (Gold Nugget Plecos 1.5" -2" long at 30$).  They had feeders including guppies, ghost shrimp and rosy reds.  Disappointing were the Painted glass and a few other tattooed fish - I hate that.  I just tried not to look in those tanks   .  They also have some non-fish so they sell crickets and other non-fish stuff.  I went hoping for Bristlenose, Farlowella cats and/or Kuhlii Loaches.  There were some Kuhlii's (Coolie) in the display tank but everything in there was NFS.  

The guy who helped me was courteous, answering my questions and didn't have one of those "I know it all" or "you know nothing" attitudes.  He was friendly, and a few times I'd ask about particular type of fish and he wasn't too proud to admit he'd never heard of them (Galaxy Rasbora's for example).  He wrote down my "wish list" and said he'd see if any of there turned up on the list when they place their next order (should be a week from today on 3/8 ).  Guess I'll find out then if they're good at keeping up with potential sales opportunities or trying to promote long-term customers.  

To sum it up, I felt pretty when I left.
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Re: Fish Mart - 59N @ Tidwell

Thanks for the review!

I might check them out this weekend.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
    X