Old Tank--New Seal vs. Old Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Tank--New Seal vs. Old Seal

I just bought a 300 or so gallon. It does not leak as of yet??? Should I reseal it. It will eventually be saltwater. What ever input will be great.

Re: Old Tank--New Seal vs. Old Seal

What condition is the sealant in?

Comment

The sides and the bottom look to be in good shape. But the corners looks like they just added some silicone and it is pealing away.  It is still holding water.

Comment

Ive never had a tank that big, i think thats a lot of water to be hoping the seals will hold. Maybe somebody here online will be willing to show you in person how to do it right, or do it for you at a good price.

Comment

That is what I am hoping for. Thank you for your time

Comment

From what ive read, if you are going to reseal any part of it you really should reseal the whole thing. Thats probably why the patch is coming off.

Comment

I'd reseal it. Since the tank is pretty old, the silicone should be easy to get off using razors. I resealed a couple tanks but I suck at typing instructions. The biggest I did was a 135g so that 300g is a project.

Comment

so you bought that big tank I wanted huh.. Marsh reef/craigslist.. My puffer is sad now..

JK. congrats. I'm going to jump on the phone next time instead of just posting a message. The next one is mine.

BTW. I resealed a leaking 150. It isn't that hard. worst part is getting the old stuff off. you have to have REALLY long arms to get the stuff on the bottom. Get some good blades and get it ALL off. Use GE silicone 1 and let it sit a for a while outside with a few lil fish in it to make sure all is safe.

If the project is too much for ya lemme know. i'll take it off your hands!
                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                n

Comment

I am currently in process of resealing a 105 gal have previously resealed a 90 gal 55gal a 47 gal a 49 gal have never had one leak oh yea a couple 10 gals too. I said all that to say I  can do the reseal for you for a reasonable price.IF you just want info call me I can pretty much walk you through it all. you will need razor blades acetone blue painters tape a lot of time and various types of razor blade holding tools to make the job alittle easier.
                                                 RICK (832)681- 6390
                  Rick
                  150 gal EMPTY C siphon w/29 gal sump
                  110 gal empty cannister
                  90 gal reef ready oceanic trickle filter
                  29 gal long hob
                  30 gal tall hob
                  10 gal hob

Comment

gonna concur about razor holding equipment. even on a smaller job like the 60 i resealed with tim, it got to where your hands were cramping a lot from just holding the blades.
                    Never fear I is here
                    David Abeles
                    Vice President
                    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I bought a 200 in essentially the same condition. Six months later - partially stocked - I sprung a leak. I'm resealing mine now. IF it were me, I would reseal it while nothing is in the tank. It will be less trouble now than in the future.
                      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Looks like I will reseal it. Now my next question is does it matter if there is air in the bead? The reason I ask is due to the size of the bead that will have to go on. Do they sell a industrial size tube of silicone? Thank you all  for the input. Rick I will be calling you for some direction when it is time!!!

Comment

u can buy GE silicone one for 3 bucks. a caulk gun for another 4-5.  shouldn't take more than 2 tubes.
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                          n

Comment

you can do it bro.  I re-sealed my 1985 era 180g Oceanic about 3 years ago.  you have to take all the old silicone off.........i used a razor blade and afterward used rubbing alcohol to get a very clean surface.  be sure not to dig down into the area where the glass is bonded together with glue.  use the blue painters tape and run a straight line from top to bottom at each corner about 1/2" from the seam.  use the GE1 silcone....buy it at Home depot or lowes and get a good caulking gun......run a good size bead down into the seam.......get some of those disposable gloves and wet the finger and once you've run the bead, smooth it out even if you run over into the blue tape......once you've smoothed it out--immediately remove the blue painters tape..........i didn't on 1 corner and when i lifted the tape, some of the silicone came up with it so i had to re-do over again.....the silicone will smell to high heaven--a strong vinegar smell...........let it set/cure for 24-48 hours........until all the smell goes away.
                            180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Comment

Working...
                            X