Farlowella catfish and coolie (kuhlii) loaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farlowella catfish and coolie (kuhlii) loaches

Does anyone here have any farlowella cats?  Below is a link to a pic of one (not mine).
    Farlowella Cat

If you do, and are keeping them successfully, what type of setup (tank size, flow, filtration, etc...) are they in, and are they breeding?

I'd like to get some - I saw them at a Petco - cool looking buggers!  I was shocked to see more than just the 'normal' chain store fare there, but they even had two nice looking bristlenoses!

I've got a few Kuhlii loaches, but would like to add some more and maybe include in one of my other tanks.  I've not seen any for sale anywhere, but there's not a whole lot to choose from up here on the NE end of town.  Wish I'd gotten more than just the 3 from Scott - they're definatly "Coolie"!

Definately spending too much time on catfishy sites - also been looking at the various hillstream loaches, and the millions of varieties of plecos and cats.

I guess when you get tired of seeing the norm, you search for the oddballs - after all, who wants to be just like everyone else?   8)

Spot
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Re: Farlowella catfish and coolie (kuhlii) loaches

Having recently moved here from Ohio, I can say that the Kuhlies are much more common here than in Columbus. In 5 years there I can count on one hand the number of times I saw any variety (standard orange-black, or solid black) I saw for sale in any LFS. Here over the past 6 mo., I've seen them at Fish Ranch, City Pets, and Fish-n-Pet Unltd on Bissonett. Plus I've seen the 'micro eels' for sale at Fish Ranch and Fish Land. This is loach heaven.

I picked up a hillstream loach at City Pets a couple months back. Interesting to look at, but not very exciting fish. Mine stays on the glass EXCLUSIVELY. It has never once been on a rock or the substrate. Make sure you keep 2-3 walls growing algae if you want to keep one alive.
    "The measure of an education is that you acquire some idea of the extent of your ignorance." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Fish Ranch has them both I believe.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I just bought a  1 Farlowella Cat  a short while back.. so far doing fine. cleans everything and doesnt damage my plants. my other fish dont bother him at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsigoloeg";p="
          Having recently moved here from Ohio, I can say that the Kuhlies are much more common here than in Columbus. In 5 years there I can count on one hand the number of times I saw any variety (standard orange-black, or solid black) I saw for sale in any LFS. Here over the past 6 mo., I've seen them at Fish Ranch, City Pets, and Fish-n-Pet Unltd on Bissonett. Plus I've seen the 'micro eels' for sale at Fish Ranch and Fish Land. This is loach heaven.

I picked up a hillstream loach at City Pets a couple months back. Interesting to look at, but not very exciting fish. Mine stays on the glass EXCLUSIVELY. It has never once been on a rock or the substrate. Make sure you keep 2-3 walls growing algae if you want to keep one alive.
          Hey there! I moved here from Ohio as well, in June it will be 2 years. I went to OSU and I am from Cleveland originally. Good to see another Ohioan about!!! 8)  8)  8)

Comment

Originally posted by naps";p="
            Hey there! I moved here from Ohio as well, in June it will be 2 years. I went to OSU and I am from Cleveland originally. Good to see another Ohioan about!!! 8)  8)  8)
            Thanks, pleased to make your acquaitence Although originally, I'm a Minne-SOH-tan, dohn cha know. I lived in C-bus, OH for almost 5 years exactly; Santa Barbara, CA for 7 before that, and everything prior in MN.
            "The measure of an education is that you acquire some idea of the extent of your ignorance." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

i believe Fish Etc. on Tidweld and north 59 has some for sale. The owner has alot in her display tank.

Comment

village has a few, plus a some royal whiptails almost full size...
                Plecos:
                L083 (Gibby)
                L104 (Clown)
                L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
                L155 (A. Hystrix)
                L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
                LDA72 (BN)
                LDA76 (False Zebra)
                Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
                Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

Yep, seen some at village.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Aqua Zoo on Galveston Road has a nice collection. Most are mature and resonably priced.
                    Checkout my blog AquaMusing
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey. I have a hard time keeping mine Farlowella alive. They are doing good for a while and then die without any reason or sign. I tried several time with same result. I do not know what is wrong. If I could have advise as well that will be great.

Don Javier

Comment

Dan what did u feed them? many times they just starve to death.
                        Checkout my blog AquaMusing
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X