TAKO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAKO

I noticed that the Texas Area Killifish Organization is having a meeting today. Are there any killifish keepers onboard here at the HFB? I am going to check it out. See you there!

max

Re: TAKO

Hey, let us know how it went. I didn't even see the announcement until today, when it's already over.  :(  Where was it held?
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

It was in someones home over close to Herman Park. They are a great bunch of guys in the TAKO. We had a lot to talk about, a fish room tour, some pizza, and they gave me fish and I bought fish.

max

Comment

Sounds cool, I think the board should have meetings or gatherings if you will at local fish stores to keep up and what not...and then maybe we could write some semi formal reviews on different stores.

Comment

The Houston Aquarium Society did this a few years back. They had each meeting at a different fish store each month and some of the owners gave behind the scenes tours or discussed various subjects. I enjoyed it a lot. I am a member of the Houson Fish Box exactly like you are. You are welcome to ask the site owner to do this. If you want the HAS or the HLA to do this let me know and I will look into it. Scott might get the LHA to do it.

max

Comment

Hi, HoustonFishBox.com is not really a club per say. It exists to promote the local clubs and fishkeeping as a hobby in general. So I encourage you to check out some of the local clubs and voice your ideas. Some even have forums here. Guppymax mentioned a couple of good ones.  :wink:

Comment

Whoops! I did not mention HTPC. geoff_tropheus might also be able to help you with this. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Of coarse there are more people in the HAS in addition to me that you could also contact. TAKO has contact information on the main page but no forum yet. There are more clubs mentioned in the HLA's gigantic spring auction Saturday 05/27/07 thread. If You need contact information for any of those clubs let me know.

max

Comment

Well I would like to have some meetings with whoever is willing to come to them...I am actually thinking about working at petsmart or pets r us (stafford, fountains)  both of them are offering me a job for my fish knowledge and I am stuck between the two...although I like the way pets r us takes care of their animals better.  But yea I would like to get something going.

Comment

Most of the all of the different clubs events are open to whoever is willing to come to them. Usually clubs close a few events to members only when the club is spending the members money to pay for the event. The HLA did this for the Moody Gardens trip and I think the HAS holiday parties are closed to the general public. Normally this is clearly stated in the offering if there are any fees or membership requirements. Sometimes there are fees for bidder cards at auctions but attendance is usually free.

If the petshops are kind enough to give this club (whichever) a tour and the attendees come back to the HFB and write a bad review of their store it might get to be difficult to arrange any more tours with other stores. Some of the attendees like yourself might have a conflict of interest and want to write a review that favored one store over another. Writing reviews is fraught with peril.

If you want to spearhead this effort one way to do that would be to start another club. The HLA and the HTPC were pretty much created on this website.

Maybe it would be good to start another thread? This seems to be getting off topic.

max

Comment

Working...
                  X