Bristlenose tank setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristlenose tank setup

I just set up a 55g for Bristlenose with the hope that some day they'll breed. Theres currently two females and two males.

If anybody has any female Bristlenose for sale then let me know how much.

Also if anyone has any advice to offer, that would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Bristlenose tank setup

Interesting setup.  I like the caves made from smashed pots, I've never thought of that.  In terms of advice, although I personally know very little about Bristlenoses, there is a guy on Dallas Fish Box(goes by the name of bristlenosedude, actually) that breeds and sells bristlenose plecos.  He seems to really know his stuff.

Chris
    What can I say, I'm obsessed.

I'm also on Dallas Fish Box!

Comment

Not certain but I think bristlenose prefer/readily breed in the close fitting caves like zebras do.
      Also think maybe throw some driftwood in for them too. Looks good so far though and if I see some good sized bn's I'll let you know.

There are some really nice options on cichlidbreeding.com and aquabid.com
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Theres a piece of driftwood across the smashed pots held down by a piece of rock. Most of the pieces of terracotta are for play rather than breeding caves, there are some flowerpot bases throughout the tank which only have a 1*1.5" opening. You can see 1 on each end and 1 is hidden under the smashed pots. They all seem to get along so far and they come out all day long not just in the dark.

Comment

Hey brownsnoutuk, gald to hear you are interested in bristlenose plecos. They are a great little fish that should be in everyones tank. I can't see your pictures but they do breed best in closed end tubes. I got mine from Rosenthal Pottery, he sells on aquabid, and has a web site. The female lays eggs in the back of the tube and the male stays in there blocking the entrance. He will not let other fish to the eggs. I have had hundreds of spawns and only 2 were in flower pots, they like the confined space better. I spawn them in groups, 1-2 males and 6-8 females. The males will spawn with multiple females and there will always be gravid females when you take the babies. When the fry are free swimming in the tube, I hang a net in the tank and slosh the babies in to it. Dad usually stays in the tube, just put it back into the tank and he will do his thing again. I usually had 2000 fry when I lived in Arlington, there was something majic in my water there. Since I moved, the spawning has slowed a bit. You don't need to keep them alone, I have spawned them with everything, including fronts in tanks from 10 gal to 200 gal. Just take the babies before they get out of the tube. Hope this helps some, the hardest thing is to get the adults, just buy a bunch of fry and grow them out.

Comment

that helps a lot, thanks. Anysuggestions on items i can use for tight caves? pvc pipes etc? what diameter also.

Thanks
            Chris

Comment

I have never had much luck with pvc but some people do. The diameter should be ~2" and 6 or so inches long. My L182 bristlenoses breed in pvc but the eggs don't seem to stick to it to well and the male always seemed to kick them out because of that. Tehy were in with my fronts so the eggs didn't hang around long.
              PM me with your e-mail and I will send you some pics, they are to large to post here.

Comment

Check cichlidbreeding.com or the persone bndude referred to on aquabid.

Also check out the slate caves offered by hookson or something like that. He has made caves for bn's so email him about the size.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

an idea about pvc...

maybe take 1.5 or 2" pvc, slice it so you have to ( shape pieces, and silicone to a piece of slate forming a D like shap (only flat side down).  the pvc would be the cave side/roof, but would have a nice slate bottom that eggs my stay in better.

Just an idea...
                  The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                  Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Nice idea!
                    Raul
                    PokerFace

Comment

That's a good idea. good luck with your BNs, what type are they?
                      Plecos:
                      L083 (Gibby)
                      L104 (Clown)
                      L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
                      L155 (A. Hystrix)
                      L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
                      LDA72 (BN)
                      LDA76 (False Zebra)
                      Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
                      Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

I don't have any (yet), and they seem to get larger than what I want.  

Ideally I'd like to have a non-albino longfin BN that stays smaller than 4".

I haven't had time to look very hard for one, but if one falls into my lap I'll certainly take it!
                        The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                        Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

i haven't been to village recently, but they had starlight Bns and i am looking for a female eventually. so i can do the same. i am not really into the long fins as to me they seem product of human intervention... i like natural....
                          Plecos:
                          L083 (Gibby)
                          L104 (Clown)
                          L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
                          L155 (A. Hystrix)
                          L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
                          LDA72 (BN)
                          LDA76 (False Zebra)
                          Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
                          Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

That's what those are!!!!!!
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have the starlight bristlenose (L182) as well. They get much larger, ~9" full size. I lost my male but am growing out a batch to get another. They are $15 and are 3.5-4" now. Neat fish and just as mild as the regular guys. I have the regular type at 1.5" for $2 and might be able to rustle up a few pairs but they are $40 and I sell every one I offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X