Fish Ranch II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Ranch II

So right after someone posted a thread about what we all do to pay for our hobbies, I got laid off in a big RIF at my previous employer. Luckily the competition was hiring, and here I am in a new job with my severance in the bank! The company I now work at is about to move offices, as luck would have it, 3 miles from home.

In the meantime I am cruising our map, and I notice I am clse to FishRanch II, at least for another couple of weeks. I am at 59 and Fondren and I can see Bellaire and 59 from my office window. FRII must be real close.

What can you guys tell me about it? Is it any good?
    Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Re: Fish Ranch II

I like them!

They have recently started setting up some really impressive planted tanks which I think is because of one of their employees have worked with mike/jeff senske of ADG.

They have a nice selection of dwarf cichlids and decent plants. They use to have some really cool shrimps too but have changed that to a tang tank.
    Another cool thing about them is they have some really cool small fish like galaxy rasboras and other really nice small fish.

They carry lots of plumbing parts/bio-spira/NLS foods/ and things not normally seen in random LFS'

If you are in viewing distance of 59/bellaire then you are right there! they are inbetween bellaire and hillcroft right behind the shell gas station.

I work right across the parking lot from them at Carmax! The awesome planted tank scaper and N.A.S.H. president works somewhere in the back streets of bellaire as well which is close to FRII as well!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I went there for the first time last weekend...I loved it, really really. It has rows and rows and rows of tanks, all organized into types of fish, lots of different types of rocks (slate, petrified wood, limestone, etc.). They seem to have a good variety of fish, too, and a lot that I haven't seen. Nice display tanks. Lots of tank setups for sale. The employees let me know many times they were there to help if I needed it, and were knowledgeable when I did ask. I only have 2 complaints... wish they had more varieties of plants (although they do have quite a few, I'm probably just picky!) and a couple of the tanks in certain rows needed a good cleaning/water change (I know it's constant maintenance in an LFS, but there were a couple that looked like they had been ignored for a couple weeks). I only spent about 45 minutes in there, but I could definitely spend a lot more looking at all the fish.

:emtthumbs:

All in all, I'm definitely going to frequent this store from now on.

They did have a saltwater section as well, but I didn't have time to look around.

And sorry about your job!  :(  Glad you got a new and better one!
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Oh yeah the saltwater section is pretty cool too!

They have since gotten a good amount of more plants, nothing like Village which is a bit further down 59 but I did find Ludwiga acurata which was kinda cool.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Mzungu you could probably get a 10% discount if you visited the Fish Ranch II during an HLA meeting. At least we all did last time. There was a rumor that the ownership was going to change. Did anyone talk to Mike?

max

Comment

I talked to him a few weeks back.  I asked him about it and he said the deal fell through.  So, he ain't going anywhere for a bit.  

Raul
            Raul
            PokerFace

Comment

That increases the probability of getting the discount. I don't think it is good for Mike. Thank you for the update.

max

Comment

i actually live within walking distance (3 blocks down off of larkwood) been going there for years, Mike even sold fish to my uncle long before me    anyway i like this shop and they have recently been getting a lot more plants in. they have been expanding that a lot recently which is cool. they are supposed to hopefully be getting a good tang shipment in soon. oh the guy that used to work for adg worked at ranch before adg now he is just back but your right they are very helpful (ordered my double 20 stand i wanted)
                Never fear I is here
                David Abeles
                Vice President
                Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Ok, just got back from a lunchtime visit...liked the place a lot. Great fish!

In particular I liked the galaxy rasboras and phoenix rasboras that I have only seen in books previously. Just how big do these guys get (or don't get). Love nanofish!

Also they had some freshwater pipefish...seahorses that aren't curly and live in fresh to brackish water. Anyone have experience with these?

My only problem was I did not see one human. The only voice I heard was that bloody parrot!!

Great selsction though...I would have bought something, but it would get too cold before I could leave work and go home....I'll go back monday and take my cooler/warmer with me.
                  Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Originally posted by RussGB";p="
                    Ok, just got back from a lunchtime visit...liked the place a lot. Great fish!

In particular I liked the galaxy rasboras and phoenix rasboras that I have only seen in books previously. Just how big do these guys get (or don't get). Love nanofish!

Also they had some freshwater pipefish...seahorses that aren't curly and live in fresh to brackish water. Anyone have experience with these?

My only problem was I did not see one human. The only voice I heard was that bloody parrot!!

Great selsction though...I would have bought something, but it would get too cold before I could leave work and go home....I'll go back monday and take my cooler/warmer with me.
                    russ, must have missed you............was there around 1:30 or so today.  Mike really cleaned up the place!!!!!!!!! All the tanks looked really clean and he even cleaned up the floor cause the place smelled like clorox.  I told him now nice everything looked and he said they had worked hard to get it that way.

I wonder what happened to that big grouper in the gigantic tank?  He was not there.

Also the african grey parrot must have calmed down because I could barely get a peep out of him!!!! LOL
                    180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Comment

LOL - yeah it did smell bleachey. I was there between 12:15 and 1:00. I had to be back at my desk by 1:30 for a call. I was thinking to myself that the chlorine gas must get into the water! Chlorine is very soluble....

That parrot kept whistling at me, and making cell phone noises...at least I think it was the parrot!

I am going to go to Aquatic World tomorrow on the way to the slot car shop, and then I'll go back to FRII on Monday I think, or maybe tomorrow if I feel adventurous!
                      Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Groupers taste yummy!

I passed by today but didn't go in, had to buy some water from global fish-n-pets.

We all would have missed each other by 30mins.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i rememmber global. (i worked there for about a month a few years back) he has really downsized though. his salt section is tiny compared to what it used to be.
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President
                          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

This is one of my favorite LFS.  I love the large selection and it's so much fun walking up and down all those aisles.  Sometimes when I'm there it's hard to get help but other times they are constantly asking me if I need help.  They have some large fish I'd love to get my hands on!
                            58G Malawis
                            10G planted

Comment

That former ADG employee is rippin off ADG designs. How original.......
                              - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

Working...
                              X