Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting

So I am no happy with my lights and how they are laid out....and so I started thinking about what I maybe should have done...

I have a nice 150g on a wood stand with a wood cover. Over the tank are two glass covers, hinged with plastic hinges, and these have a 2" plastic strip at the back edge which are cut to fit around filters etc.  When I bought the tank it came with two 36" Coral life CF units, I think 96w each. So I have these sitting on the glass tops between the hinge and the plastic strip. So to open the top for feeding etc, I open the top of the wood canopy, and then open either the left or right hinged glass.

A little while back I decided I wanted more light, so I bought two more of these units (and they aren't cheap). But the issue is they sit on top of the glass in front of the hinge. That means you have to open the canopy, move a (hot) light unit, and open the glass. Subsequently I gave up the battle of trying to grow plants quicker than my crayfish could eat them. So it took the extra pair of lights out.

It just seems like a lot of hassle. Am I doing this right? Am I using the right kind of lights? Whats the purpose of "retro fit" kits? they look a lot easier. Should I consider other kinds of lights? I don't want an elctric bill that is ridiculous. Not in one of my 15 books, nor in the instruction books or even online have I found help on the best way to lay out my lights!!!
    Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Re: Lighting

Have you thought about attaching your lights to the wood top canopy?  So when you raise the canopy, the lights are out of your way or only attach the two new additions since the back ones aren't in the way.  It my take a creative touch, but I'm sure it could be done.

Raul
    Raul
    PokerFace

Comment

Yup, that's what a lot of people use the retro-fits for. You can either put them in an existing fixture (i.e. change a normal fluorescent to a power compact) or install them in the canopy. I think the lights that you have are perfect for what you want to accomplish - try Raul's suggestion!  :)

If you go to ahsupply.com, they have a couple of plans for DIY enclosures (just click on those words on the left side of the home page), just to get an idea. Hope that helps!
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I thought of doing that with a 4 tube 6' reflector.....the Corallife units are quite heavy though...
        Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Post a picture! what is the measurements of your tank?

If your canopy is tall enough you can do what Raul stated, hang them in the canopy but leave a bit of room since the fans are on the top of the fixture. If you really want to get creative then remove the essentials from the fixture and and retrofit it to your canopy and cut holes in the rear/top of the canopy for the fans and even get more/larger fans to circulate the canopy!

If you can you could also sell the fixtures to try and recoupe the lost and use that money for a retrofit kit from AHSupply.com and that would solve your problems pretty much. If you decide to sell I would probably be intrested in one of them.

If it all fits under you canopy fine and there is enough room for it I would use some eyelet screws/nuts/lock washer and some chainlink to hang the fixtures in your canopy and remove the glass tops.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Wow, 3 posts at 3:39!!
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Hahhahaahha mine says 4:39
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
              X