Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 3 (maybe even 5) Canister Filters???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 3 (maybe even 5) Canister Filters???

I'm looking to get a canister filter for my girlfriend's tank, which is African w/ a sand substrate. In everyone's opinion (both individually and collective), what would you suggest as being the 3-5 canister filters w/ regard to price and dependabilty/quality?

Also, is anyone familar w/ the CASCADE canister filter made by Penn-Plax?

Thanks in advance ya'll   :emtthumbs:

Re: Top 3 (maybe even 5) Canister Filters???

Eheim
    Rena filstar
    Fluval
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I only have one canister filter...an eheim. But from general consensus, I'd say the favorites are eheim and rena filstar.

I'm curious if anyone's tried the Cascade, as well.
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yeah, I know Eheim is like the Rolls Royce of c.f.'s. But I'm wondering if there's something out there that maybe worthy of being in the same class(or at least comparable). I'm more concerned w/ quality than name, ya know. Her tank is a 55 gals...I think (48"l x 13"w x 21.5"h), so we're just looking to get a good, relatively inexpensive c.f.

Comment

Why do you think that Eheim is the RR of canisters.  QUALITY.  

That filter is petsmart garbage.

Comment

The eheim classics are on sale at Drsfostersmith.com for a really nice price compared to what some of the other brands.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

having worked in industry and used a few canister. i can honestly say i have heard and seen so many great things about ehiems. i never heard anyone complain about them. and i havehad more people buy new tubing so they could use the filter on another tank then filters ever breaking. Rena comes in a close second being similar in quality and price. but rena has a slighty higher water flow rate. my fluval runs ok so far but havent had it for too long. gonna add a ehiem to my 55 along with my fluval for extra clean feeling.
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President
              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Seems like the general consensus is Eheim and Rena. Thanks guys  :bsty: I'm keep my eye open for some good deals and steals.

Comment

Eheim 2217 with all the media in it is $101 at Dr.Foster and Smith

Rena Xp3 is $99 and you still need the bio media.

Eheim is the best.  Then Rena, then Fluval, the rest are cheap Chinese imitation crap. The others work, but are fragile and wear out quickly.

Even though the new Eheim Classic's are built in China, they have to meet the German QC specifications.

For the money right now, the best in the market is the Eheim Classic 2217, which contains all the media, is from Dr. Foster and Smith for $101
                  380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                  300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                  180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                  150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
                  X