Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holey Rock Safari?

Hello everyone.  

I have contacted some of you individually but I thought this might be better posting here.

I've been in touch with Geoff_Tropheus about organizing another trip to collect Holey Rocks.  Geoff said he would consider organizing another trip if enough people expressed interest.   If Geoff does this, it would be sometime last week of Feb. or last week of March.

Please reply if you are interested?  

This would be an all day event.  4 hours going, 4-5 hours collecting, 4 hours coming back.  

General guidelines:

Carpooling being ideal.  (Split gas expense)
    Collection is for yourself and not to sell to make a profit. (You will be hung)
    Small collection from participants to provide small token of gratitude to Geoff's relatives who own the land.
    Must have fun, but willing to work to collect your rocks!
    tools involved (wheel barrow, sledge hammers, picks, shovels, dynamite :)  - kidding abou the dynamite)
    Safari would start at Aquarium World

Here is a url to show info from last trip.

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Raul
    832-262-7795
    Raul
    PokerFace

Re: Holey Rock Safari?

Howdy Raul and all,

I might be intereted; it would be good if the timing was around the FOTOS meeting that is in San Marcus I think March 17, I know that the HAS auction is March 18.  Spring break for some of the schools is March 12-16 so timing could work to go durning the week.

What I'm leading up to is if you want to make a two day trip out of the safari about an hour from Austin I know where there is acres of drift wood that I could probably get permission to go through with the club.  Last time I was there I found some really cool pieces that we will be using in our tanks.  Later, ken

Comment

There are pieces that range in the size of your hand to pieces that would take dynamite to get out.

She has three or four huge piles that you can rummage thru to get all that you want. There is also plenty to walk thru on the property to get whatever.  Those however will take picks and shovels to get out of the ground.

When we were there this last August, I think we collected all we wanted and then some in about 2 hours.

We left Aquarium world at 7:30AM and got there around 11:00AM.  Spent (2) hours digging/collecting rocks, like an hour eating at the Dairy Queen, and then Drove back. I think I was home before 5:30PM in Pasadena.

Later, I took the pieces I collected to the carwash and power washed em all and got them really clean.  Then before I put them into any tank, I whent thru all the holes with pipe brushes, and gave the outside a good scrub.

I still have about half of what I collected outside...
      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I want to go with you guys. Geoff just let me know i have friends in Kingsland, Granite shoals area on Lake LBJ. I know the area my Dad was a policeman in Llano for a while. Thanks

Comment

where
          Michael
          Clear Lake, TX

Comment

rrocket2002 -

Count me in guys !! I would love to get my hands on some Holey Rock. Just let me know when, where, and what time, and I'm there. :dance:  If you need to contact me, my number and e-mail are below.

David
            (832)884-9052
            davidthomas1313@sbcglobal.net

Comment

Would it be on a weekday or weekend?
              Id be driving, but id probably only have room for 1 passenger if anyone wanted to ride with.

Comment

Ek wants to go, but depends on when.  

Tim and David can't make it till around June.

Raul
                Raul
                PokerFace

Comment

I am iffy about the safari hunt, gonna be a busy month for me but if yall decide on a date I can try and work around it.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I am with EK, just need a date? I am game along with my kid brother, but end of this month and the first 2 weeks in March are filled up, after that, I would love to go.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

I am too busy ( and spending too much money ) fish clubbing to go this time but I would love to go on one of these Holey Rock Safaris some day.

max

Comment

Howdy,

I am still interested if the date works out and I am free.  Will be in San Marcus on March 16-17 if we can do it then.  Later, ken

Comment

Hello all i,m certinely instrested in the
                            holey rock outting let me know the date and time.
                            Imiss it last year. I have wheelbarrel,sledge nhammer 4lb mallhammer pick and
                            acouple of chisels, trucktoo.MY wife and son will probly want to go also but still
                            have room for another person.
                                                             Rick,(832)681-6390
                                                                                           arby311@aol.com
                            Rick
                            150 gal EMPTY C siphon w/29 gal sump
                            110 gal empty cannister
                            90 gal reef ready oceanic trickle filter
                            29 gal long hob
                            30 gal tall hob
                            10 gal hob

Comment

Days I'm available to go.

Weekends:

Feb. 24th & 25th
                              March 24th & 25th

Weekdays...If I know in advance I could ask for one day off.  There are only a couple of days that I have to work nights and I can't get out of those.

Raul

Geoff?
                              Raul
                              PokerFace

Comment

Working...
                              X