FINE GRAIN SUBSTRATE,WHERE TO FIND?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINE GRAIN SUBSTRATE,WHERE TO FIND?

Hello, I am looking for small grain natural color subtrate for freshhwater, not sand. The kind usually seen in LFS, but so far I have been told, I can't get that anymore ect.  

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find this sold by the pound or otherwise. the space I need to fill is 6'x2'x29" 2 1/2" deep for 220gal.

Also I know there must a formula or rule of thumb to determine the # of pounds needed but I do not know, can anyone advise?

Re: FINE GRAIN SUBSTRATE,WHERE TO FIND?

I don't know about where you can get it, maybe try a gravel yard or whatever they're called? They usually have varying grain sizes available in large quantities.

As for the rule of thumb, it's usually from 1-2 lbs of gravel per gallon. 2+ lbs per gallon is mostly used for planted tanks, where you need a deeper substrate. So for 2 1/2" deep it will probably be around 2 lbs per gallon, maybe a little bit more.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Typical gravel and I would guess sand also in this matter, is 1/2 cubic foot is one 50lb bag.

So...

6 ft X 2 ft x (2.5 in./12 in.) = 2.5 cu.ft.

Therefore you need to buy 250 lbs of substrate.

So...just like a good rule of thumb that Mzungu said is 1-2 lbs per gallon  8)

take care,

Geoff
      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. Thats a lot of gravel!

Comment

Im using Aquatic Pond Planting Media. A 55g requires 30lbs for 2 - 2.25" deep.  Youd need probably 100lbs for your tank.
          I dont know how much regular gravel would cost you, but the Aquatic pond stuff is about $1/lb.

I bought mine from Petco on sale for $4 each 10lb bag.

Comment

It depends on what "fine" means. Beach sand is about 90% minus 16, dune sand about minus 24, traditional "aquarium" gravel (brown garnet) is about minus6 /plus 12. Industrial sands will have these type screen sizes on the bags .
            Traditional silica sands will have an apparent density between 2.5 and 3 (times water- eg 150 to 180 #/cu ft. ).
            I have almost decided to use sand from the backyard; it looks about any sand bar or sand bottom creek. The price is prettty reasonable. It seems most of what I have read of "laterite", etc, is baloney, and that woud be too greasy for substrate.

Comment

You might like Estes 'Bits o Walnut'. Check out their website:

Current Setup
              20L
              6 guppies, 1 dwarf platy, 2 pepperd corys, 1 emerald cory, 1 ghost shrimp

5.5G
              4 bronze corys, 1 otocinclus, 2 mystery snails, lots of algae

Comment

Working...
              X