Freshwater flounder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshwater flounder?

Today I was at Ultimate Fish and saw some flounder for sale.  Does anyone know anything about these?  They were in freshwater, priced at $2.99.  They were maybe an inch or so long.  They were attached to the side of the tank.  I'm not sure if they are a true flounder or if it's a nickname/common name for some sort of pleco.  
    Shannon
    58G Malawis
    10G planted

Re: Freshwater flounder?

I have seen some that have the sucker mouth of a pleco but normally sold as butterfly pleco or something like that. I saw them at City Pets for the same price I believe.

RonR. had some freshwater flounders that were actually a flounder but I think it got old and needed more salinity/brackish in the water and died.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, they're also called sole and will need a brackish system to thrive.

Ellen

Comment

Do you think it could be housed with my green spotted puffer?  He's in brackish water.  He's about 2-3 inches now.  
        I'm going to go try to find some information online about them.  Hopefully I'll find out how large they get, etc.
        58G Malawis
        10G planted

Comment

Well, I've confirmed that they are also known as sole and they do need brackish water.  They need marine water as adults.  Different sources say a max size of 3-8 inched.  They need a sand substrate so that they can burrow.  They are nocturnal and can be difficult to feed.  The food must be small because they have tiny mouths.  They will eat frozen/live food best.  They need well oxygenated water.  Otherwise, as long as you meet their needs they are long-lived.  I didn't see any tank size guidelines.  
          I cannot find if they would be okay with my puffer.  What do you think about it?
          58G Malawis
          10G planted

Comment

What size tank is your puffer in?

I think if they are the size I saw them at then they should be ok in a small tank for a little while.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Unfotunately there are a few people selling them as freshwater, I bought one once... it didn't live long.

Comment

Right now he/she is in a ten gallon.  I "measured" him today and he's about 2-2 1/4 inches long.  I plan on keeping him in there he either outgrows it or when the filtration and weekly water changes aren't keeping the nitrates at a reasonable level.  Once he's an adult he'll have to move up a larger aquarium because it'll be less of a hassle to maintain a larger marine aquarium (I tried to use the ten gallon as a marine tank before and it was more trouble than it was worth in my opinion).  I'm not sure of his growth rate but I'm hoping the ten will suffice for the next year (I'll have more room then plus more income).  Anyhow, if you think that's too small for the flounder/sole and puffer then maybe I can get one next year and upgrade the puffer and grow the flounder out in the ten gallon.  What do you think?  The flounder is so cool looking and I think he'd be fun.  I would have to change out my substrate though (I have gravel).
                58G Malawis
                10G planted

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                  I have seen some that have the sucker mouth of a pleco but normally sold as butterfly pleco or something like that. I saw them at City Pets for the same price I believe.

RonR. had some freshwater flounders that were actually a flounder but I think it got old and needed more salinity/brackish in the water and died.
                  mine was a fw south american flounder...........had him for over a year or so and it grew to about 7".  really nice fish.  I like the oddity type fish.  eventhough i add salt to my tank weekly as part of my cichlid buffer treatment, it wasn't enough.

these flounder spend their earlier years in fw and brackish water and then move on into the saltwater as they mature.

mine died about 2 mos ago.  I think there are a few true fw flounders from australia.  if I buy another one, it will have to be one that lives 100% in fw.
                  180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Comment

I think true freshwater flounders are illegal to have in Texas.  There was a post somewhere in this forum about illegal plants/fish.  You may want to look into that before purchasing one.  
                    I would love to have a huge brackish water tank with all the neat archerfish, monos, scats, etc.  Someday...
                    58G Malawis
                    10G planted

Comment

Are you sure it was a sole? Those are commonly food fish for us humans...

You said it was stuck to the side of the tank? Could it have been what is sometimes called a "hillstream loach?"
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Argh, this is why I don't like common names!  Did it look like "Achirus lineatus?" Did you find a picture online?

Comment

I tried calling Ultimate Fish to ask them what their scientific name or other common names are but their phone is busy.  I'll keep trying.  So, I don't know if this is accurate but I think it could be Trinectes maculatus but it could be Achirus lineatus.  I don't think it's the hillstream loach but I could be wrong.  It was so small and they were stuck to the side of the tank.  I saw the bottom view of one very well but the other two where further back in the tank and the tank was up high (I'm short).  So I couldn't identify it from it's top view.  

This is what he looked like from the bottom.
                          58G Malawis
                          10G planted

Comment

I've got a couple of Flounder looking fish I acquired from Smoking_Cache.  They are in a tank with community fish.  I was thinking of taking them to the Swap in Huffman to trade.

Raul
                            Raul
                            PokerFace

Comment

Did you take that picture at Ultimate Fish? Or did you find it somewhere?

Comment

Working...
                              X