Job hunt, Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job hunt, Networking

Well I need to get out of PETSMART and I was hoping someone here may have some connections.  I graduated from Sam Houston with a double major in Banking and Finance but had no experience to put on my resume. So here I am at Petsmart with 6 months and some great retail/sales experience and Im ready to get out.  If I don't find something soon I may force myself into a Petsmart manager position I don't really want. 4 am putting dog food on shelves isn't my idea of a promotion.

If anyone has some connections to local banks or other finance related jobs I'd appricate any help.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Re: Job hunt, Networking

im sorry to threadcrap, but do you have any connections with any other petsmart besides the woodlands one? I want a job as one as a cashier at the clear lake one, to make a little extra money for college
    Michael
    Clear Lake, TX

Comment

no connections. but they seem to always be looking for cashiers. just go to the website and apply at the one you are interested in.  

i think there is a section where you can put in a refering employee name.

I'm Dan Dunaway.   give it a shot
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
      n

Comment

is that how you got the job? you applied online?  

anyways, if you have a finance/banking major you should apply at bank of america (not sure if thats the specific area you are interested in?).  They always hire their because of fresh-out-of-college students leaving so soon
        Michael
        Clear Lake, TX

Comment

thats exactly what I'm lookin for and I've applied there.  Not sure what/if any positions I want or are qualified for.
          n

Comment

Originally posted by gt3guru";p="
            thats exactly what I'm lookin for and I've applied there.  Not sure what/if any positions I want or are qualified for.
            Yeah I would just keep trying, a cashier doesn't have to really have too much experience. I'm an English Lit major and I was going to be a cashier at a bank back home but I got something better. They just make sure that your background is VERY clean!! I would go in person to the bank that you applied to and ask if they have any openings and that you applied back in "X" and was just checking up on the position. A lot of places really need to see people in person first.
            Just my 2 cents. :wink:

Comment

my background is squeeky clean. Unless there is something in my background I don't know about. Is that even possible?  My credit score was 805 before I bought this house.  But I keep getting rejected for teller positions. I can't figure out why.
              n

Comment

Have you posted on Monster? I got a call from Capital One (from Monster) but it was in Brenham. While they're opening banks here would be the time to get in!

Ellen

Comment

Crosby is opening two credit unions if you want to try cold calling:

Community Resource Credit Union
                  PO Box 3181 Baytown, TX 77522-3181
                  281 462 2728
                  800 238 3228
                  Community Resource Credit Union happily serves members in Baytown, Mont Belvieu, Crosby & Atascocita TX. Learn about mortgages, checking, savings & more.

I sell land in Crosby.

max

Comment

I think that often it is possible to be "over" qualified for a position.  If a business is experiencing difficulty keeping a position filled then they are often reluctant to hire someone they feel will promote "up" or "out" too quickly.  Orientation and training for a new employee can be very expensive.  It's almost like a compliment... certainly doesn't feel like one though.

It is also appropriate, in my opinion, to ask the hiring authority why you were rejected for a position.  An expressed willingness to recongnize and correct weaknesses in yourself is a very mature, responsible, and professional characteristic.  If I were a hiring manager, I would be very impressed by an applicant who was honest and eager enough to seek my advice in securing subsequent employment with my company.

Just keep trying and remember that finding the right job is like finding the right wife or husband.  If you do it correctly, it takes a while and there's alot of trial and error involved.  You WILL eventually find that perfect job, make your proposal, and be rewarded with a long and meaningful career.  Honesty, integrity, confidence, and perseverance are the keys to success.

Comment

Its tough being over qualified AND under experienced.

My last interview with wells fargo i got a rejection in phone call form and I did ask if there was anything inparticular that kept me from the job but I didn't get anything definitive.

Most of the time its just an automated e-mail and no one on the other end to answer questions.

Thanks for all the help. i've spent a little time on monster.come today. sent out a few more resumes.

I'll keep you updated!
                      THANX!
                      n

Comment

If you are interesting in teaching, I could possibly help you get you a long term sub postition teaching Algebra.
                        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I had a few friends who went subbing after college, I think I'm making about the same $ at petsmart. I prefer my animals to theirs. haha.

Thanks for the offer though.
                          n

Comment

There are lot of openings here at the Houston Zoo.

Comment

I got a phone call from Woodforest today. I applied for "loan file clerk" in conroe. Its a nothing job but its a start.  Probably the same $/hr as the manager position at petsmart but i can work my way up and get some exposure to lending.

More drama at work today. a highschool kid who should have been fired long ago has stayed and caused some unspeakable disasters. Store management claims to be powerless, saying its in the hands of HR now, but he refuses to take ANY measures to limit this kids exposure to animals and female employees.  I fear this will get worse before it gets resolved.
                              n

Comment

Working...
                              X