Looking for the best CO2 system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the best CO2 system

I’m looking to add a pressurized tank CO2 system to my tanks.  I’d like to find a complete system that I can purchase & setup.  I know it’ll be an expensive outlay, but after that it’ll just be the cost of refilling the tank.

I’ve looked around on the web and found some complete DIY systems.  I found this guy, which has a regulator, a bubble counter, needle valve, and solenoid valve which can be hooked to a pH monitor to shut it off if there is a pH crash.  However I guess I’d have to find a tank too (who sells these?).

So, I’m looking for suggestions.  Those of you who have a system, what did you go with?  Would you do the same system again?  What should I buy?

If it matters, they are for 2 55 gallon tanks.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for the best CO2 system

The regulator you linked is a Milwaukee which is one of the better names out there, a friend just got one and we have been fiddling with it and the needle valve is nothing great but workable. The rest of it seems really nice!

There is a person over at marshreef.com that has a never used one for sale but I dont know how much it is. http://marshreef.com/modules.php?nam...profile&u=1573 or I could get my friend to post on here where he got his which was like $70 something brand new.

Azoo is suppose to be the new dog on the block and there hasn't been anything bad said about them and they tend to be quite cheaper than the others available but I have never seen one in person along with JBJ.

I got my regulator from http://www.rexgrigg.com/sale.html which consist of a beer beverage regulator and all clippard parts including the solenoid, low pressure manifold, needle valve, adapters and even co2 resistant tubing. So far compared to the milwaukee it's shining! I know that if I ever needed another one I would buy from him again or just build my own with the same parts.

The 10lb tank I ended up getting from Village Tropical since they sell new aluminum ones and even fill there. I got mine there for $100 if I remember correctly but the said friend inquired about one and they told him $135.

If you want to run a PH controller then whatever you choose to go with must have a solenoid on it for the controller to cut off. I personally just run my co2 with my lights on a timer and dont have much PH swing throughout the night and the fish in there are doing perfect! If you plan on keeping something that is really finicky/sensitve to such change like discus a PH controller would be a great idea.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I've heard nothing but great things about the Rex Grigg's regulators!! Top quality!
      You can also contact welding supply stores and beverage distributors for tanks/refills. I'd check around some for prices, you can find some great deals also. Check ebay too. :wink:

Comment

If anyone finds a good deal on tanks or refilling around town please post it up!

Village charges $15 for a 10lb and I think city pets charges $10-15, I have been meaning to call Gander Mountain to see how much they charge since they refill paintball tanks but haven't yet but then again I think filling at a LFS is more appealing cause when it comes time you could also walk around and peep the fish and stuff while the tank gets filled.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hello, I have had a pressurized system for about a year. dual gauges with solenoid and needle valve in one system. I bought it when I got the aquarium from Aquarium World. I did replace the bubble counter/diffuser  later from Village Tropical Fish. I dont remember the brand name, it was German I think, But worked much better, the old one was not sealing properly. I have a 10lb tank that I got from Airgas on Hempsted Hwy. You basicly are paying a deposit on the tank and taking it there to refill. I do the same as Eklikewhoa and put it on the timer with my lights. It runs about 11 hrs a day and maintains the desired ph level consistantly, but have recently considered discus and thought a ph controler would be best in that situation. I not sure if it is necessary or not though. I do know that Milwaukee is a relable name, will most likely last forever. The extent of my limited experience. Good luck!

Comment

How much was the 10lb out the door from Airgas?
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hi. If anybody has 20lbs tank and needs refill I can get it done thru my pepsi delivering guy at my business. I think they charge 16 or 17 dollars and MUST have empty tank for exchange. Otherwise, they charge 100 bucks for deposit. Even with $100 deposit, you get a great deal for a tank that size. By the way, I run my 20 lbs on 120 gal with discus without Ph controller and they are fine. The tank last about a year.

Comment

So it's a $100 for a filled 20lb? that's a helluva deal!
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I think he means its $116/117 for the 20lb filled, then $16/17 to refill

Comment

I think Airgas was about $80 for the tank deposit and $12 to fill for a 10lb tank. That was a year ago and my is about ready for a refill. I did have mine off for about 3mo

Comment

The Drs are having a really good sale on this CO2 system w/ regulator, tubing,bb counter, glass difuser and timer for less than $96.

Get it while it's on sale.  The regulator is an Azoo.

Comment

For those who find this thread later, The Beverage Factory is the best deal I could find on tanks.  I'm going with the 10lb.  It's a new all aluminum (lighter than steel) tank and has a handle for easier carrying.  I got it on sale for $73, but apparently the sale is over because it's showing $78 again.  The site has a best price guarantee though:

FOUND A BETTER PRICE?
                        WE PRICE MATCH. CALL TOLL FREE 1-800-710-9939.
                        I haven't decided on a diffuser yet.  The Reactor M has a built in Reactor which seems kind of cool, but is twice as expensive as the plain bubble diffuser.

Man this is adding up fast!  Oh well, I'm "pot committed."8)  I hope I have a little forest for a reward.

Comment

Originally posted by jwyde";p="
                          For those who find this thread later, The Beverage Factory is the best deal I could find on tanks.  I'm going with the 10lb.  It's a new all aluminum (lighter than steel) tank and has a handle for easier carrying.  I got it on sale for $73, but apparently the sale is over because it's showing $78 again.  The site has a best price guarantee though:
                          How much was shipping?

Comment

hahhaha "pot committed" soon you will be "all in".

I got my diffusers off of ebay and the really nice ones are only like $20
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by flounder";p="
                              How much was shipping?
                              Here's what it was for 2:

>
                              >            Product Description Qty Price Subtotal
                              >            10 lb. Aluminum Co2 Tank [BF C10] 2 77.95 $155.90
                              >            Subtotal 155.90
                              >            Discount - $8.00
                              >            Shipping - FedEx Ground 15.34
                              >            Total Delivered Price $163.24

I'm not sure if the shipping would be less if you only had 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X