Collecting Plants inside 610

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting Plants inside 610

Does anyone know any good places to collect plants (and/or fish) inside the loop?  I live in the medical center and there are lots of bayous around but mostly I see concrete.  Am I not looking hard enough?  I'm not looking for anything in particular, just think it's fun.  Also, do you need a fishing license to collect plants or fish?  I've never done it in Harris county.
    58G Malawis
    10G planted

Re: Collecting Plants inside 610

I'd like to know the same. Guppymax and I have been to Eleanor Tinsley Park, which is inside the loop, found a few fish there but not many plants that we could see. I've been to random places along Buffalo Bayou, but I'd like to know of a tried-and-true place, if anyone knows! I'd also like to know if there are legal restrictions, so if one place looks good, are we breaking any laws by collecting there?

And yes, you need a fishing license for collecting. Very easy, I got mine at Walmart - was in and out in 5 minutes.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I still say that we need to go check out the part of the bayou down the street from me that doesn't have concrete. When the weather gets warmer I may go down there and take some photos to let y'all see what I'm talking about.

Mzungu - do you need a license just to collect plants?

Comment

Hrmmm...  

Wonder if a license is needed for collecting tads and/or crays?

I get those out of the ditch in my back yard....  never "removed" them from the property (so to speak) so I wonder if that counts?
        The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
        Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

I think the cheap cost of a license is well worth the cost just in case.

I have a decent bayou near me but I haven't been down there since I was a kid. Use to catch baby sliders/snappers/softshells down there all the time along with you gamusia(sp?), mollies, wierd looking patchy little fish and once seen some albino oscars down there  8O
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i used to get turtles and stuff in the drainage ditch next to Academy. you may need a license for game fish but other then that you shouldnt need it because you are not taking any fish in numbers, and not for profit either. there shouldnt be a license for plants either.( i should have a fishing license anyway for when i want to fish which happens like every 3 years not to say i dont want to just never have time. i was just thinkin of goin back down to the ditch since i would have so many new tanks up soon. might be cool to see  what is there. if i find anything good i will spread the news
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President
            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I think a fishing license is a license to fish period, wether you are taking in numbers or not and for money or just catch and release. I had a run in with fish&game not too long ago and the "I'm not fishing" pitch didn't work with a pole in hand.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

you had a pole    thats funny sorry. yeah they can be scary. i have been fishing all my life and never seen them, and whats wierd even if i didnt have a license at the time i followed the rules and saw some people not. its a shame. but hey they are not guys to mess with. did you know that fish and game are the second most powerful cop in all of texas right behind rangers. they can fine you and confiscate your car/truck/or boat on the spot. that kinda crazy leavin you at the lake with no ride home.
                Never fear I is here
                David Abeles
                Vice President

Comment

Originally posted by Tiapan";p="
                  that kinda crazy leavin you at the lake with no ride home.
                  That would totally suck!
                  58G Malawis
                  10G planted

Comment

Yeah they are really powerful!

I have relatives that are commercial fishermen and me and the pops use to go fishing all the time with his boat and there have been some serious run ins with them. The pole was actually leaning against the pier next to my friend but since there were more poles then license it didn't fly with them. They were pretty nice though and told us to go to wal-mart and get a license and they didn't want to see us again without them, the whole time I was trying to hold my heineken bottle to the side so he wouldnt fine me for having glass on the pier in which he never said anything about  
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

beer and fishing is there a better combination anywhere?
                      Never fear I is here
                      David Abeles
                      Vice President

Comment

In the UK, fishing licences are like $80-90 and thats good for only 1 or 2 rivers, and then only certain sections of the river. I got caught fishing without a licence and was let off with a warning. I then bought a licence and for the whole year i never even saw any FishPolice.

Comment

Raul
                          PokerFace

Comment

well i went and tried my old creek (read that drainage ditch) and all i found was a few livebearer minnows. kinda look like feeder guppies (i dont know what species they were) but there werent any plants to be found at least aquatically. and i lost the fish i caught when i went down in the muck and the bucket i had turned over. now i have clay mud all over my jeans and tennies. luckily my grandfather lives 2 blocks away so i got a good shower and now am in his sweat pants   ya'll would have loved to see the fall it was spectacular
                            Never fear I is here
                            David Abeles
                            Vice President

Comment

That's awesome.  They are probably mosquito fish.  They can be pretty aggressive for being so small.  I used to keep them as a kid.  
                              I'm sorry you didn't have better luck.  
                              A few years back me and my husband were at a small man-made lake trying to catch perch with a bucket and fishing net and actually caught a few nice sized ones while some men with poles sat there and watched (they didn't catch a thing).  Collecting natives is a blast.  Now I have the itch and want to go try for myself.
                              58G Malawis
                              10G planted

Comment

Working...
                              X