Koikichi here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koikichi here!

Hello all! Really neat site, didn't take me long to decide to join after I saw it. Well, I'm told "koikichi" means somebody who's crazy for koi, if so, that's definately me... Bought a tiny house in Spring last year, but with a huge backyard so the first thing I decided to do was build a modest little koi pond-- 1200 gallons or so. Seriously--did that before I got a kitchen table or sofa. And about 10 dead koi later (pump mishap), I've got a thriving project going with really nice koi, sometimes goldfish, frogs, mystery snails. I'd like to get an aquarium for fancy goldfish eventually, unfortunately that's where I'm extremely limited in my knowledge, but I make up for it in koi and pond stuff. I am by no means an expert, but I would be happy to relate any knowledge or experience and hopefully can contribute to this site that way. Of course, my pond is overstocked, so anybody looking to buy or trade, hit me up!

Re: Koikichi here!

wow ... those are beautiful ... but how do outdoor ponds fair when the weather gets really hot and humid?
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Hey Logan, they do okay as long as your set up is decent. A deep pond is best to help moderate the temp. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my pond as deep as I wanted (darn clay soil) so I've moderated the temp. by having really high stone edging which generates shade over the surface. Then an arched footbridge over the pond helps by providing more shade, then finish it off with some water lilies. Even when it got 100 degrees outside, the water was still cool to the touch.

Comment

cool, post some pictures of your pond when you get a chance.
        There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Welcome!!!

Ellen

Comment

Of coarse I want to trade. Are you keeping them in the bath tub or a sink? If so that's a cool idea. Welcome to the box.

max

Comment

Welcome!  Nice looking koi.  I can't wait to see pictures of your pond.  I'd love to have a nice pond someday.
              58G Malawis
              10G planted

Comment

Yeah, those were some Japanese guys that I purchased from a farm in Hawaii. Since I don't have a seperate quarantine tub, I ended up using my guess bath tub. Water changes where a breeze! Drained out about 20% of the water, shooed my fish to one side, then showered the otherside while adding water conditioner. Shower even aerates the water. Of course, a small pump/filter setup would be best but I've done this a couple times and have had no problems. Since nobody's ever used this tub, I didn't have to worry about soap or shampoo contamination, but I scrub it down with a fresh sponge anyway just to be safe. Send me a message with what you're looking for or what you want to trade and I'll let you know if I can help.

Comment

I also would love to see some pictures of your pond, sounds like you put a lot of work into it! And love the bathtub - that's funny.    

And welcome to the box, it's good to have another pond person around here, there aren't too many! (I'm not one yet, but I'll probably have a very similar experience to yours when I eventually get a house.)

Ask away whenever you're ready for the goldfish tank, sometimes it helps our MTS to help someone else set up a tank!
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

pretty Koi, and the pond sounds great. always glad to have new people on the box.
                    Never fear I is here
                    David Abeles
                    Vice President
                    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Thanks everybody for the welcome. I'll get some pics and post them in the pond section when the weather's a little more cooperative.

Comment

welcome to the box!
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Don't tell your guests that the fish share the tub! LOL! Or just make sure they don't stay long enough to need a shower/bath! :wink:

I love watching Koi, but I hate mosquitos - doesn't the pond attract them? Or are those koi snacks?

BTW - welcome to the Fishbox!  

Comment

I had some buddies come over to watch football. One of them went to the bathroom during a quarantine, did his business then came out and was like, "Dude, you know you got some fish in your bathtub?"

Mosquitos do suck though. Mosquito larva for koi would probably be like cracker crumbs to us. That's when tadpoles come in handy. Throw a few in your pond during the spring and they'll eat happily til late summer when they turn into frogs. Then you get a couple of weeks of frog songs until they hop away to hibernate or do whatever it is frogs do in the winter. Also have a concrete Japanese style lantern that can hold a citronella tea light.

I don't know... sometimes a koi of mine will jump out of the water. Maybe they're snatching skeeters out of the air...

Comment

That is just too funny! Like you wouldn't know there were fish in your tub! You could say "Dude, they come out of the drain hole when I'm not looking!"

Comment

Working...
                              X