Tank Mates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Mates

I posted this in the general forum, guess it would help responses if I put it in the right place

I need some ideas as to what a good bottom feeder would be for oscars, I set them up in my 60 over the weekend, along with my giant danios, and 10 rosy reds, and 10 ghost shrimp, only one rosy red, and one shrimp made it through the first night   , these little buggers are mean.  I have a feeling the only reason the danios made it is because they're faster than the oscars.  So what can hold their own against these piranhas?

Re: Tank Mates

:emtthumbs:  No worries!

Sorry if you have to repeat yourself, but how many oscars? Two? Plecos can usually handle living with oscars but that might pose a problem with waste and whatnot. (Oscars are messy eaters, plecos poop a lot!) A few foot-long poop machines might add to the maintenance a bit.  :wink:
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I've never had trouble keeping plecos with oscars in the past but I agree with Mzungo about being poop machines.  I tried a similar sized catfish (columbian-I didn't realize it was brackish at the time) once and came home to a headless catfish so be careful.  Oscars aren't terribly aggressive (usually) but will eat anything they can put in their mouths.
      58G Malawis
      10G planted

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
        :emtthumbs:  No worries!

Sorry if you have to repeat yourself, but how many oscars? Two? Plecos can usually handle living with oscars but that might pose a problem with waste and whatnot. (Oscars are messy eaters, plecos poop a lot!) A few foot-long poop machines might add to the maintenance a bit.  :wink:
        yes there are 2 of them, they remind me of the raptors from Jurassic Park, one will give chase while the other waits to ambush 8O

Comment

I don't think you could add a bottom feeder that would be efficient without adding to the mess or have it become a snack.

But if you insist on it maybe get something that won't fit into their mouth.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

a cichlid that that's a bottom feeder... my little cutteri do just fine with fish 4x their size and they pick through the gravel. i never had an oscar, so i really don't know, i guess i prefer something you don't see often in the aquarium. but try a cryptohero - convict, cutteri, or a something of the throicythics group - firemouth, aurem...

but if you want all South American - earteaters are grest and peacful, plus graceful and colorful. sometimes big - so a geophagus is your best route.
            Plecos:
            L083 (Gibby)
            L104 (Clown)
            L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
            L155 (A. Hystrix)
            L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
            LDA72 (BN)
            LDA76 (False Zebra)
            Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
            Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

Pleco & Catfish route: BN's up in size or and thing that is armored and big: porthole catfish, hoplo's...
              Plecos:
              L083 (Gibby)
              L104 (Clown)
              L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
              L155 (A. Hystrix)
              L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
              LDA72 (BN)
              LDA76 (False Zebra)
              Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
              Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

Working...