Frozen Foods vs Freeze dried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Foods vs Freeze dried

I was told by someone whos knowledge i trust that frozen daphnia lose a lot of their nutritonal value when you freeze them because they burst during the process. that would seem to make sense, but do they lose that nutritional value if they are freeze dried. and if they lose some frozen, which foods are less good frozen. also i was curious which frozen foods or freeze dried foods do people feed.
    Frozen
    0%
    Freeze dried
    0%
    Prepared like flake and pellet
    0%
    Or a mix of several
    0%
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Re: Frozen Foods vs Freeze dried

i dont know about daphnia but freeze dried is suppose to hold more nutritional value.

but my fish prefer frozen over freeze dried.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Some foods are good for you but if they taste good I eat them anyway. Most of the time I just eat what I have because it is easy.

max

Comment

I hope we can find out, I'm curious to know as well.  Have you heard that about any other frozen foods?
        58G Malawis
        10G planted

Comment

I feed frozen beef liver though it is slightly messy.

Comment

I feed a combination of flake and/or pellet, live, freeze dried and frozen.  I think variety in a fishes diet is good for them.  Their preference seems to be live, frozen, freeze dried and lastly flake.  My live foods are BBS, micro worms and vinegar eels.  The frozen are prepackaged blood worms and home made beef heart.  I might try collecting mosquite larve when it warms up a bit.
            Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

i would like to try live, i may need some vinegar eels for fry in the not (hopefully) to distant future. how easy is it to keep vinegar eel colonies going? and i still havent heard from anyone whether they feed our (as in houston bloodsuckers) larva to tangynika cichlids. because that would be great free food.
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President

Comment

Vinegar eels require much less maintenance than microworms.  Once you get the collecting or harvesting down they are easy to work with.

Comment

good to know i may have to trade or but a starter colony of them from some one in the future. i have heard good things about them.
                  Never fear I is here
                  David Abeles
                  Vice President

Comment

Can any fish eat vinegar eels?  Or is it only for babies?
                    58G Malawis
                    10G planted

Comment

i dont know it seems like all would love it,
                      Never fear I is here
                      David Abeles
                      Vice President

Comment

I think it sounds like the easiest live food to keep so I may just try to do it.  Have you tried yet?
                        58G Malawis
                        10G planted

Comment

Vinegar eels are very, very tiny.  They are great for fry but I don't believe they have enough nutritional value for adult fish, especially larger fish.  Small adult tetras and such may enjoy them every once in a while.  I know my Cardinals still go crazy over BBS.

Comment

I was worried about their small size.  Do they ever get bigger?  Right now a lot of my fish are between 1-4 inches, depending on which tank we're talking about.  That might not work for me.  Maybe I'll just try to do the brine shrimp thing.  I'm not looking to feed it as a sole food but as a fun treat a couple of days a week.
                            58G Malawis
                            10G planted

Comment

Working...
                            X