Blood Parrot Controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Parrot Controversy

I was just wondering what all of you thought about blood parrots.  I think they are cute and have fun personalities and was thinking of adding one to one of my tanks.  It's hard to find info because so many people hate them since they are hybrids.  What I find odd is the same  people don't have hatred towards flowerhorns and they are hybrids as well.  I totally understand why the dyed varieties and the ones with words written on them should not be purchased but what about the plain red/brown ones?  They seem to be in a lot of dispay tanks around Houston and quite a few lfs sell the unaltered types.
    58G Malawis
    10G planted

Re: Blood Parrot Controversy

meh, get a flowerhorn instead  :P

inwood has 1" ones for like 2 bucks

Comment

I don't know anything about flowerhorns but I think a major part of the controversy over the parrots is that the nature of their hybridization has created a deformed fish. Their spines are deformed, they cannot close their mouths, many are born without tails and other defects. Most responsible breeders will cull fish born with any of these deformities from their stock to prevent those genes from perpetuating -- not only to maintain a high quality fish population, but also for the quality of life of the fish.

The bottom line is, it's a personal decision -- if you are not bothered by those issues, then by all means, go get yourself some parrots. I choose not to own them but there are a few in the aquarium where I work and there is no denying that they are interesting fish with big personality.
      Bacteria: the only culture some people have

Comment

i have to agree that its a personel choice. but i can tell you something i do like about parrots. they can typically go in a mix of tanks. i have seen them in southamerican cichlid tanks, semi-agressive tanks, even seen them mixed with some africans before. not too many fish are so versatile. so if you want parrots get them,again like you said stay away from died and written on ones thats bad, but otherwise enjoy.
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Flowerhorns are too aggressive (and too large) for any of my setups.  They are beautiful fish though.  
          I am bothered that they are deformed but their personalities are so cute.  I agree about responsible breeding practices which is why I'm asking everyone's overall opinion.  I wouldn't buy a puppy from a pet store and I'm just trying to figure out if this is the same issue.  I think that it may be the same.
          58G Malawis
          10G planted

Comment

I don't mind them and might even get one eventually.  My little boy likes goldfish and there is no way I'd ever have a goldfish tank.  They look more like a goldfish than any other non-goldfish I can think of and he probably wouldn't know the difference (he's only three).

They must be pretty hardy at least as far as pH tolerance goes.  I've seen them in South American and African tanks.  I am usually surprised though at how expensive they often are.  It's not uncommon to find fairly small ones going for $20-$30 each at your nicer stores.

Comment

Being hybrids and since no one is positive what their parents are there isn't a whole lot of information on them.  From what I've read they like to live in groups.  One loner will leave others alone and a group will just quarrel amongst themselves.  30 gallon minimum for one and 10 gallons for each subsequent fish.  They like to have dither fish so they are more secure.  They will dig up gravel and kick up sand and uproot plants.  They may eat smaller fish but their body shapes don't make them the best predators.  They can hold their own against aggressive fish (although I don't think they will against super-aggressive fish like jaguars or midas).  That being said, they would fit along nicely in one of my tanks.  Jellybean parrots are the blood parrot female mated to a convict male and are a bit smaller than the blood parrots.  I think being mated to a convict might make them a bit more aggressive so I don't think I want those.
              58G Malawis
              10G planted

Comment

You've done your homework!!! A++   :emtthumbs:
                Bacteria: the only culture some people have

Comment

I had one my my last tank, and it quarreled with my pleco daily.  One evening I came home and the parrot was missing a pectoral fin.  He healed up nicely, however.  When the parrot started nipping at the plecos eyes, I had enough and put a divider in the tank.  Pleco on one side, and parrot on the other.  The rest of the fish were small enough to pass through the divider without any problem, but most of them chose to stay on the side with the pleco.  Eventually, the parrot figured out how to get past the divider, and I would have to scoop him up, put him back on his side, and try to brace the divider better.  One evening I came home from work and they had switched sides!!  I was totally not surprised the night I came home and the parrot was dead wedged between the divider and the center rib of the tank.

Good riddance.

Teeleton

Comment

Well that worked out for you quite nicely!  
                    58G Malawis
                    10G planted

Comment

I don't like the unatural look of fish like those, i feel they are an abmination. It's depressing to see animals formed into what people want, their are much more speices of cichlid aeout their to suite your taste and are of normal corrispondance. Try  a cryptohero instead they stall small and have a lot of personality. My wife thinks all the ones i had in the past and present are the cutest fish - Sajicas and Cutteri. And you can place them with aggressive fish for only being about the size of you fist.

But this is just my opinion, and i don't care for flowerhorns - get a Lyonsi or a Trimac.
                      Plecos:
                      L083 (Gibby)
                      L104 (Clown)
                      L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
                      L155 (A. Hystrix)
                      L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
                      LDA72 (BN)
                      LDA76 (False Zebra)
                      Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
                      Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

Well, I've decided not to get any.  I enjoyed hearing all the different opinions.  I think they'll keep breeding them as long as people keep buying them.  I still think they are cute though.
                        58G Malawis
                        10G planted

Comment

Working...
                        X