algae problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• algae problem.

I posted in some other plant forums and got no responce.

This stuff STINKS. slimy, fast growing, I suck up half a pound a week it seems like.

I try and keep nitrates around 10ppm, CO2 is high, and light is about 8 hours a day.

PH has dropped down to the 6s

What kind is it and what can i do?
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Re: algae problem.

Do you have moonlights? I seen this twice in my tank. I never ran my moonlights except these two times I was showing someone them and forgot about them while I went on vacation. Also there was no feeding for 4-5 days both times. My nitrates were always 0. Slightly overdosing Flourish Excel four about 1-2 weeks cleared it up both times. Some people recommend very high overdosing, but I always starting the dosing per the directions and then only like 1.5 times the normal doses for 2 days and then I would skip a day and start over with the original dose. I am sure and more even dosing would be better, but I had problems remembering to dose after a 16hr day at work. Read up on hair algae. I am not sure that is what you have, but your looks identical to mine and I followed the treatment for hair algae.
    Smokin_Cache
    Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
    Lets see what the imagination fruits.
    Check out my last tank

Comment

Check out this link,

Comment

cyno is nasty stuff and very persistent. the only complete solution i have ever seen was breaking tank down and cleaning everything thoroughly.  little will almost always come back.
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Does a UV sterilizer kill any free floating cyno?  Would running one help prevent a cyno breakout?

Comment

I've got  13 watt uv running.

i've got pressurized CO2 so Excel shouldn't be needed.

It does, however appear to be cyno.

I've added a power head to the water to keep it all flowing well as my lil jebo filter just doesn't cut it in terms of flow rate.

I've also started dosing more ferts (per the link Brownsnoutuk posted THANX!)

I'll let you know how it goes!

thanks for all the info
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
            n

Comment

how are you dosing and what size tank?

i read some intresting articles about algae and plant growth but i cant find where now but it was saying that nitrates should be around 10-20ppm but your potassium should be high too if you keep your nitrates high for more lush plant growth and less algae.

what ppm do you have your co2?
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

its a 75 gallon. i'm dry dosing greg watson ferts. 1/4 teaspoon kno3 and 1/2 teaspoon k2so4.   The plants/bacteria are really sucking it up fast though. i'm seeing 10ppm nitrates after dosing but it doesn't last long.
                n

Comment

From what I understand, no matter if you're dosing CO2 or not, they say Excel really helps. I saw one of your posts on another forum, have you gotten any feedback anywhere? Hope you get this cleared up!
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

before CO2 i had some BBA that cleared up right away. still no help from the other forum.

The links provided are helpfull.  The next step is to block out all light for a few days. i'll pull out some water and suck up the crud i have today before starting that though.
                    n

Comment

some things i would try to get rid of it.....

remove most i can manually
                      spot dose with a blaster or syringe with excel probably the total of 10x dosage
                      up co2
                      introduce amano shrimps
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

CO2 is already pretty high.

Amano don't seem interested in the cyno.

Spot dosing won't help as this stuff is everywhere.

Any place around the woodlands carry excel?

I cleaned the tank today getting all I could. then added more KNO3 that i usually do and my ppm is still under 10. I wonder if my test kit is reading correctly.
                        n

Comment

i might be heading to village tomorrow and could pick up a bottle for you if you want. im on 45N at w.mt.houston which is much closer to you and you could pick up from me.

might have to schedule something though cause my parents is borrowing my car while i fix theirs.

maybe pull the plants and dip them if thats an option but i know its not what you want to hear.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I also was running CO2 at 25 to 30 ppm. That is the exact stuff I had in my tank overdosing Excel cured it both times. I am sure the secong outbreak was because there was still some in the tank, but it was like 3 to 4 months between them.
                            Smokin_Cache
                            Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
                            Lets see what the imagination fruits.
                            Check out my last tank

Comment

tomorrow i'm busy. work in the morning and interview in the afternoon.  whats a bottle cost anyway?
                              n

Comment

Working...
                              X