Sheldon Resevoir Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheldon Resevoir Collection

I just added a picture to my album of the plants I recently collected at Sheldon Resevoir. Are they coontail and ludwegia?

max

Re: Sheldon Resevoir Collection

Looks like Ludwigia to me. Is the other plant you collected the one in the bottom right and top right of the photo? Doesn't look like coontail (hornwort), looks like a kind of cabomba or something. I'll look around and see what I can find, but the cabomba native to the US (C. caroliniana) looks different than the one in your picture.

Whatever it is, it makes me want to make a trip over there!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Well, I didn't know that ambulia's a common name, and one of the species is Limnophila sessiliflora. Apparently this is an invasive species in Texas! Here's a link to some info:

Does that look like your plant?

Comment

Yes we are talking about the Limnophila sessiliflora (ambulia) I guess anything that grows well is on somebody's list. It does not seem to be on the TPWD's list?:

Before I destroy it. Who's list is it on? Link please.

max

Comment

Quoted from the link I posted above:

Laws and lists:

Limnophila sessiliflora

is "state-listed" by Florida and North Carolina

is on the Florida Prohibited Plants list, Florida Department of Environmental Protection

is a North Carolina class A noxious weed

is on the Federal List of Noxious Weeds (USDA/APHIS, 2000)

Comment

So, the law is if you find anything on these lists, you're supposed to destroy it?

Comment

Well the TPWD list says: "The organisms listed on this page are legally classified as exotic, harmful, or potentially harmful. No person may import, possess, sell, or place them into water of this state except as authorized by rule or permit issued by the department. For more information, contact Joedy Gray, (512) 389-8037."

I am willing to abide by the Texas list and not take Limnophila sessiliflora  to Florida or North Carolina. Is the Federal List of Noxious Weeds (USDA/APHIS, 2000) a legal document or just a suggestion?

I may decide to destroy Limnophila sessiliflora later like I would like to get rid of duck weed and pond snails and I am glad that you pointed out that it is invasive. Is it illegal?

max

Comment

Oh, wow. I just answered my own question. This is really disappointing, but understandable. Disappointing because some of these are really beautiful plants.  :(

Comment

You left the TPWD site and it seems to me that this site confuses the law suggesting that regular duck weed might be illegal. I don't like regular duck weed and would probably like to make it illegal but this is not the case?

Again Limnophila sessiliflora is not on any illegal list for Texas?

max

Comment

The Federal list of noxious weeds is quite legal and serious...they do go after people for them...big fines, etc.
                    Charles Jones
                    http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
                    Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Please give me a link. The Texas list lists Giant Salvinia as being federally prohibited but again I am not aware of a list that makes Limnophila sessiliflora illegal in Texas. Are you aware of a list that list more than is on the TPWD list that is illegal in Texas? Link please?

max

Comment

here you go max
                        Charles Jones
                        http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
                        Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Originally posted by guppymax";p="
                          Well the TPWD list says: "The organisms listed on this page are legally classified as exotic, harmful, or potentially harmful. No person may import, possess, sell, or place them into water of this state except as authorized by rule or permit issued by the department. For more information, contact Joedy Gray, (512) 389-8037."
                          I think the point is that it is illlegal to place these "into the water of this state" so I would assume that as long as you don't toss them in the bayou, lake or a public body of water, then you would be safe. Right??  :?

Comment

I think the words "import, possess, sell" means you can't legally have them period. Thank you for the link I am on my way there now.

max

Comment

oops, I missed the word possess!

Comment

Working...
                              X