Collecting Fissidens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting Fissidens

Since this stuff is supposed to be native to the US, has anyone ever found any near Houston? I'm hesitant to order some for such high prices if I could make a day out of finding some...

Thanks!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Collecting Fissidens

I think it is more in East Texas. Here is an interesting link I found:

You know at the bayou across the street from me, if you go past 43rd st., I thnk it around Tidwell, the bayou isn't concreted - it's in it's wild state. It would be interesting to go and have a look to see what we could find there. Of course I would be clueless, but you know plants, so . . .

Comment

i would be intrested too, i usually see nothern states collecting them though.

i actually brought up to my friend about going to the bayou near my house cause we use to do it all the time when we were younger. maybe ill swing by later this week.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

That's funny, daisy, I found that page, too! Thanks for the link.

Do I see a plant safari in the near future?  :wink:

I've been to the bayou a couple of times in the past few months, but didn't really find much other than bacopa and ludwigia. Maybe if we got a group together we could be more successful!

Comment

Forgot to mention...

On the site linked above, I noted the counties in which fissidens species had been found:
          Bexar, Calhoun, Jackson, Jim Wells, Kleberg, Live Oak, Refugio, Uvalde, Victoris, and Zavala.

Comment

From those counties - Jackson is the closest to Houston, and it's still a ways away! I'm not saying it isn't around, just noting from the counties you gave that it might be even more Southern that Houston is!

Ellen

Comment

May I go along if it is a local trip?

max

Comment

Of course, Max!

Thanks, Ellen.  :)  I've been looking around some more, found a couple good sites. Here's one with pictures of a native collecting trip:

Most of the info I've found state that the best place to go is around San Marcos, which is true for almost all plants (fish, too). But I'm still looking!

Comment

San Marcos is exactly what I was going to suggest. That and the area of New Braunfels, San Antonio, The Hilll country would be good. It must grow by rivers and/or lakes.

Now Jackson county is right outside Wharton County and that really isn't that far. My daughter went to Wharton College and it didn't take us much over an hour to get there, so I'm pretty sure jackson wouldn't be much further. Edna is the county seat and the next largest city close by is El Campo, if that info helps anyone!

Comment

Not sure where all those places are, but I bet they're easy enough to find on a map!

I found this amazing document that maps the areas where certain aquatic plants were found in the San Marcos river. Doesn't mention fissidens, but I thought it was pretty neat.

Comment

Wow, it sounds like you guys are on a treasure hunt.  I would have to study up on what the different plants look like first so I didn't dig up weeds!
                      58G Malawis
                      10G planted

Comment

I still get confused, even though I study both the submerged and emersed forms quite often! Maybe one day I'll remember...

Comment

Looks like Harris doesn't even have an entry, so you guys could put us on the map!

Teeleton

Comment

would love to get in on a trip but if its on a weekend there is no way i could go. but i could if you found a spot go afterwards on a weekday  :wink:
                            Never fear I is here
                            David Abeles
                            Vice President
                            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

If fissidens grow aorund lakes, well we have lakes around Houston. I guess that we need to research exactly what conditions it takes to grow these plants and then cross-reference to what lakes we have around here that have those conditions. Did that make sense?  :?

I just don't get that these plants grow around the dry climates, like Goliad, to the Hill county to the piney wood areas of East Texas, and not around here. It would be interesting to find someone at the Aboretum and pump them for info.

Comment

Working...
                              X