very mistreated and sick Betta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very mistreated and sick Betta

I am new to this forum but thought I could get some help here.  I have rescued a mistreated Betta from a bowl of only 1" on nasty water at my office.  He was just laying on his side.  After doing many water changes, adding salt, and keeping the water warm for the last 3 weeks he fish seems to have gained his color back.  I don't think he is older than 9 months.  He can not stay upright, he lays on his side at the top of the bowl or sometimes is nose down near the bottom.  He isn't active and I have not once seen him eat in the last 3 weeks.  He looks like he is eating however.  He moves around when you touch the glass and he once jumped out during a water change.  If has suffered from the experiance do you think he will ever be okay?  I was excited to see his color come back, but really no other improvements other than still being alive.  Also wondering if trying to save him is putting him in even more distress.

Re: very mistreated and sick Betta

Hi! Welcome to the Box! There's also a dallasfishbox.com if you're interested in talking to some folks closer to you...

It sounds to me like his swim bladder is messed up, probably a bacterial infection because of the horrible conditions he was kept in. I know that tetracycline can be used to help clear up swim bladder infections in angelfish. It would probably be a good step to take since you've been trying the clean water approach for a few weeks.

Here is a link that might help:

HTH!
    Ellen

Comment

Welcome! Good thing you rescued him when you did! Is he still in the bowl? If you could say a little more about your routine (water changes, temperature regulation, etc...) it might be easier to determine if he'll get better. But it sure seems like you're doing everything right, so keep it up!  :)
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Nothing lives forever. You are learning a lot. Bettas seem to have an amazing ability to recover from this type of neglect. The advice of Dr. Ellen and Dr. Mzungu is good. You are doing a good thing. Welcome to the HFB. Carry on doctor!

max

Comment

Don't give up on him! My betta went through a terrible spell - not really sick, but seemingly neglected - when I was in the hospital for more than a week. His water was dirty, and yucky and he practically jumped out of his skin when you got near the bowl. He wouldn't eat and stayed at the bottom of the tank hiding behind this rock. It took about a month for him to start to behave normally again. Now he is my "fluffy boy" once again. When he sees me he comes over and flirts! He's a cutie.

Comment

SBD sounds like what he is ailing from.  More detail about his current habitat is; the water is 80 degrees and is changed every other day and sometimes daily with RO water, adding salt each time.  He is in a different bowl than the one he was neglected in.  I had to sneak to get him so I left the bowl there just without the fish.  Since he is in a bowl I leave a light on him day and night to keep the water warm and warm up his new water each time before putting him back into his bowl.  Could the constant light be stressful?

I am going to try treating him for SBD and hope for the best.  Thanks to all of you for your helpful input.

Comment

For ~$25 you could make him a little betta resort. A ten gallon tank + small heater to keep his temperature constant and avoid any "light stress". Plus, 10 gallons is much easier to treat than a bowl...

Just a suggestion!
              Ellen

Comment

You should go to this website and look around:

I have Buster in a little 2g. tank, no heater, with a small light. It goes off and on with my 55g. I don't think they like to be under lights all the time, but I could be wrong!

PhishPhreek is our resident Betta expert and he is part of the above mentioned org. Go to the website and read the articles on there. They are very helpful. They have a forum, as well.

Comment

I'd agree, fish need their rest too, especially if they're ailing.

Ellen brought up a good point, an actual tank is easier if you are going to treat him, and conditions tend to be much more stable than in a bowl. Doesn't have to be a 10 gallon, it could even be a setup like daisymac has - Buster seems pretty happy!  
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Thanks Mzungu! Buster is once again a happy betta!  :wink:

His little tank is really easy to clean, small, inexpensive and enough room for him. I use a turkey baster for the bottom of the tank, and when the water level goes down I take out more water, wipe out the inside and add fresh water.

Comment

have you tried any of that betta remedy stuff? add a teaspoon or so to the tank/bowl once a day until you start seeing improvement. with dedication, you can help this guy out quick.
                      Good luck!
                      Chris
                      What can I say, I'm obsessed.

I'm also on Dallas Fish Box!

Comment

Betta has popeye

Found a betta in my 26G bowfront community tank( 6 black neon tetras, 3 juvenile Bolivian rams, and 3 corys with popeye (1 eye only).

Popeye occurred couple weeks after I introduced Bolivians. He seems fine, swims freely,  and eats alright. Popeye is only one eye but is beginning to show fungus around outer area. I've read that could be the beginning signs of TB.

I've moved him to a 51/2 gal hospital tank. 2 gals of water from his own tank and the rest fresh. Ive read not to treat him at all and let nature take its course. Another site suggested a teaspoon of epson salts. Any thoughts from Betta experts on:

1. whether epson salts or aquarium salt as a reasonable treatment
                        2. medications and dosages I could use
                        3. The fungus growing around eye is first sign of TB
                        4. Its more likely the result of an injury(because it is only 1 eye)
                        5. Letting nature take its course

Thanks,

jklntx

Comment

Number one cause of popeye is dirty water.
                          A partial to full change of water every day is recomended treatment.
                          Treat new water with dechlorinator and a pinch of salt and any preventive meds you normally use.   I usually keep a lttle methelene blue around for fungus.

Thai breeders swear by almond leaves - just add one in the tank and let it do it's natural healing.
                          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Dirty water may be a reason, but with the tank getting a 10-15% water change weekly which is primarily RO and electro right with almond leaves added, I wonder what else it could be. I will change daily and add some salt  and hope to see improvement.

Comment

Working...
                            X