fishlesscycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fishlesscycle

Is it poss. to fishless cycle a tank without a filter on it? Just decor.,gravel a airstone and  bacteria from a old filter media? and Ammiona from the store. and of course a heater.

Re: fishlesscycle

I'm no expert, having only had my tank 7 months, but here is an article that you can look at that should help.

Good luck!

Comment

Cycling is the process of establishing a colony of bacteria that break down all the toxic nitrogen compounds that come from uneaten food, fish waste, dead plants, or dead fish. These bacteria live on the surface area of something. Some "filters" are really biological reactors or bacteria houses with a lot of bacteria food flowing through them. Common examples are the sponge filter or a box filter full of filter floss or quilt batting. Other filters like canister filters can be just mechanical that remove the "big solids" out of the water. Some of those "big solids"break down into nitrogen compounds too so even mechanical filters help get rid of nitrogen compouncd to some extent. The bacteria need to have a place to live to cycle the tank. I have seen plants used for this purpose, surface area with no air in tanks with limited stocking and frugal feeding. There was/is no filtration in these tanks.

max

Comment

I agree, it would probably be better and faster if you had something on which the bacteria could live, preferably something the water can flow through so the bacteria have access to it. The gravel, decorations, and even airstone will eventually house some bacteria, but a filter is much more efficient. Since you're using an air pump, why not switch the stone out for a sponge filter? That will give the bacteria a good home.  :)
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

i agree the sponge filter is an excellent bacterial filter and it works minorly as a mechanical one too. plus its safe for baby fish. lots and lots of breeders stick by large sponge filters for their tanks. if i remmember Scott uses sponges on all his breeding tanks.
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
          X