GIANT snails, group buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIANT snails, group buy?

Looking for a good source of snails for my MBU last night i stumbled on these giants. He says they will get to this size in a year so they will get to MBU dinner size very quickly. I'm hoping to get enough to start a colony but his prices are high and shipping is rediculous. I'm hoping to cut some costs if anyone is interested.
    Hes asking $10 for 1, $50 for 25, and there is an auction for 3 at about $7 with 3 hours to go.

I've just messaged him with some questions on breeding and a scientific name. i'll post what I get

I know there are 2 MBU owners out there who may be interested.   Id be interested in 5.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Re: GIANT snails, group buy?

Man those are huge!
    58G Malawis
    10G planted

Comment

i saw those linked in another forum  

i wonder how long my dp's would try at it?????
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

OMG, have you had any takers on the group buy?  I'd be interested in five.
        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I want some of the big ones just cause they grow so fast, i can keep a steady supply of MBU sized feeders at all times.

So far you're the first whos shown any interest
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
          n

Comment

well i'm disapointed. I got a reply from the snail guy and this is all I got.

Visit www.applesnail.net for all the info you could ever need to know.

Thanks,
            Josh

There are, according to the website, over 160 different varietys of apple snails. and I can buy apple snails (mystery snails) at petsmart for 1.99.
            n

Comment

I find it hard to believe they'll get to that size in only a year.
              You sure its not a scam. you wouldnt know if hed tricked you till at least a month had pasted and the snail hadnt grown.

Comment

Looks like he's been registered since Oct 2004 and so far has 100% positive feedback both as a seller and buyer.  You can leave feedback on Ebay for up to 90 days.  I'd be comfortable buying from him and his store is strictly snail sales.  Guess he has slow times  :wink:
                Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

They take closer to 2 years to reach that size.  

Also it's illegal to ship that species across state lines so be careful if you order some.

As for that seller, he is fantastic, I've ordered from him several times.
                  If you want a large snail try pomacea haustrum they get as large and are legal.

Terri

Comment

Some snails are illegal to keep in texas
                    I don't have the link but it is posted by
                    Texas parks & wildlife
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

In order to manage and conserve our natural resources, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department must protect our state waters against the introduction of non-native aquatic species. Fish, shellfish, and aquatic plants that are not native to Texas may compete with native animals and plants for food and space.

The organisms listed on this page are legally classified as exotic, harmful, or potentially harmful. No person may import, possess, sell, or place them into water of this state except as authorized by rule or permit issued by the department.

Giant Ram's-horn Snails, Family Ampullariidae (synonymous with Pilidae)
                         All species of genus Marisa
                      Channeled Applesnail, Family Ampullariidae
                         Pomacea canaliculata

Terri

Comment

My Pomacea Haustrum have had babies. There are quite a few but theyre all still small and green.

Comment

How difficult are they to breed? some of them require the eggs to be laid above water right?

How many do they have at  a time?
                          n

Comment

Hello, I also have a mbu puffer to feed who LOVES snails. I have been buying mystery snails and small trapdoor snails for him. I keep them in a 20gal with nothing else with the hopes of breeding. I generaly keep about 10-20 med size and they have multiplied. There are 2-3 dozen small ones. But I think they grow slowly.

Yes, they lay eggs above the waterline. I keep the water line about 2-3 inches down from the top.  

Some have grown too large for the puffer to eat at this time, so they are keepers to breed. My hope is in time I will have a constant supply and not have to buy anymore.

Comment

I didnt buy them to breed and so i left the tank completely full of water. The snails laid the eggs up under the hood(2 clutches).
                              I started with 5 snails, i have probably about 50 babies from the two clutches.

Comment

Working...
                              X