New Tank/Plant Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tank/Plant Question

I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find the answer to my question.  I just bought a new tank today.  I want to have some plants in there.  Does the tank need to fully cycle like it does for fish or can I add them before the cycle is complete?
    58G Malawis
    10G planted

Re: New Tank/Plant Question

You can add most plants right away.   I don't recommed adding the most delicate plants at first though.
    300+RR (8-10 ft x 30"x30") - Waiting to find it... Lake Tanganyikan
    225RR (72"x24"Wx29"H) DSA - Lake Tanganyikan WC Murago
    210RR (60"x24"Wx32"H) AGE - Lake Tanganyikan WC IN PROGRESS
    160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
    90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
    90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope

Comment

Thanks ddaquaria!  I plan on keeping some hardy plants so that should work.
      58G Malawis
      10G planted

Comment

agreed
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

It is my beleif that the plants will actually help with the cycle. The plants will be bringing beneficial bacteria with them, like a seeded filter.
          BTW, what type of plants are you planning on keeping?

Comment

Not too sure.  I'm still narrowing down what fish I'm keeping.  But I'm pretty sure it will be some severum.  I know cichlids have a nice reputation of uprooting plants but I'm going to try for it.  It's a 60 gallon tall.  I was thinking some fake plants with a few real mixed in.  Maybe some of those swords, java fern, and anubus.  I've had a setback with my tank.  I didn't measure the space on top where the filter goes and the filter I got is too wide.  So I need to exchange it before I can fill it with water.  But I guess it ended up being a good thing so I can buy some plants at the same time and start the cycling.  
            If anyone has some suggestions of other good plants I'd love to hear it.  Since the tank is so tall some quick growing plants would be nice.  Also, I'm having trouble finding a bulb to replace the one that came with the light.  So until I can find one it's only 20 watts.  From what I understand it needs to be at least 60 watts.  My existing bulb is just over 23 inches long.  I'm going to look online later today and hopefully find one.
            58G Malawis
            10G planted

Comment

I cut back my vals back 8 inches and within a week they had grown the 8 inches back. I dont know if they'd be suitable but they grow and reproduce quickly.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into that and see if they would work.  I like the way they look.
                58G Malawis
                10G planted

Comment

At least 60 watts would be good, especially since it's a tall tank. The plants you mentioned should do well in lower light, as well as the vals. Just don't get too upset if your severum decides they're tasty!  :wink:

Did you find a bulb? What kind of fixture is it?
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

No, I haven't found a bulb that is over 20 watts.  It's the regular one that came with the tank (flourecent).  I bought some java fern and an amazon sword at Petsmart.  Then I went to Village Tropical and had them recommend some plants for me.  I ended up buying four.  Some type of crypt, some type of anubis, something that looked like a val but it wasn't, and something else.  I hate that I forgot their names now that I'm home!  So far they are doing good.  I am going to make a homemade CO2 thing sometime soon.  
                    What is funny is I went overboard on plants from a cichlid tank perspective.  They are just so pretty.  I'm hoping they don't end up dinner.  Snacks, maybe, but not dinner.
                    58G Malawis
                    10G planted

Comment

i think the only way you are going to get the needed wattage over your tank is to change your fixture, if you are saying you can only find 20w bulbs then you wont be able to run much more in that fixture. just taking a guess based on what i experience when trying to get stock light fixtures to work.

check out ahsupply and maybe look into a retofit or even a new fixture or go the cheap way and just get a shop light fixture from the hardware store.

with the plants and cycling its usually better to let it cycle first if you plan on a big bio-load cause the plants will suck up the ammonia used to cycle and make for a smaller beneficial bacteria colony.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I was concerned about that with the light fixture.  I think I'll wait and see how the fish react before I spend a ton of money on new lights.  I've also been toying with the idea of a small planted tank so that might be another option if they start eating my plants.
                        I've been cycling since Saturday and I've tested the water everyday and I still have ammonia and no nitrites.  I seeded the tank with 3 handlfuls of gravel from another tank and my tap water has ammonia in it.  I added some feeders that had been quarantined in another tank (6).  I'm getting frustrated because I thought seeding it was supposed to speed up the process.  I haven't added Prime or Amquel.  Anyhow, just wanted to complain about my lack of progress in the chemistry department.  
                        In the meantime I'll check out my options on lighting so I'll be on top of it when the occassion arises.
                        Thanks again.
                        58G Malawis
                        10G planted

Comment

water chemistry is a very slow process. can take up to 2 months in some cases to get safely to a full fish load.   I hate telling people that who are buying tanks, they always get upset.
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                          n

Comment

what ppm are you at for your ammonia?

you could just go get some bio-spira and call it a day.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Sorry it's taking a while. Is the ammonia still rising? Patience is tough sometimes! You might think about borrowing some filter media from another tank and placing it in the new filter, that might speed up the process as well.

Even if the plants do wonderfully in the 60, keep thinking about that small planted tank! They're a lot of fun.  
                              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                              X