how to sink veggies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to sink veggies

What are some of the trickes to sink veggies for the Pleco? Can you put it in the microwave?

Re: how to sink veggies

you could microwave it to blanch it but i wouldnt do more than about 30secs.

on plecofanatics they sell screwcumbers which is basically a corkscrew to weigh down cucumber halves but i have had luck with plant weights or just a fork stuck into a piece of cucumber.

you could also use those veggie clips they sell for marine fish and just mount it really low in the tank.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Howdy,

We find the raw vegetables last a little longer in the tank.  Not the most attractive but you can use plastic coated twistem wires and thread through fishing sinkers.  Poke or wrap wires around veggies and drop in tanks.  Gather up weights when doing water change outs and reuse.  Or use rubber bands and rocks the same way and drop in tank.  We also use this same method for sinking bunches of anacharis.

We love to use whole caned sting beans (Libby's is usally 3 for $); rinse with fresh water and they usually sink to the bottom.  We keep refridgerated; a can last us a week.  The veggies also work great to attact snails for harvesting; we then crush the snails for the fish to eat.  later, ken

Comment

in order to sink mine, i place a corner under an ornament/rock. i have used the maleable metal that is used to hold stem plants together by poking the metal into the veggie.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I wanted to feed duckweed. The solution is to put it in the blender and wash the color out in a brine shrimp net. The pulp sinks. A lot ot the food value may be in the color so I feed that to artemia.

max

Comment

I am not as fancy as most of the others, but then again all of mine are in grow out tanks or breeding pair tanks. I simply blanch the veggie and use a plastic clip like you use to close open potato chip bags. I tie a piece of monofilament line to the clip so I can pull it up with out putting my hands in the tank. That would not look to good in a show tank, but for practical use it works great. I get them at the dollar store and it works out well because they last forever.
            GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

all these suggestions work, i especially like the bean one m gonna have to try that myself. but i like the blanchng just fine. i do it to zuchini when i have it lying around (not too often) as a treat. plus i was trying to de snail too.
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President
              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I tried the blanching and it worked out fine. I was thinking about getting something to hold it in place though, as it moves around the tank as if it was alive

Comment

I use the veggie clip and if I have something else to add I just put it on a pickle fork and plunk it in the gravel!

Comment

Working...
                  X