Discus Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discus Question

I was just wondering if I could get some advice from you guys.  I'm wanting to buy a 30 gallon aquarium (that's all the room I have).  I haven't bought anything yet so no money is invested.  Could discus thrive in a 30 gallon tank?  I don't even want to go there if they won't.  I've never had them before but have been keeping other various fish for the past 10 years.  If they would thrive, any advice would be welcome.
    58G Malawis
    10G planted

Re: Discus Question

Discus need about 10 gallons per fish so you could have three, but it would be a better fit for two.  Discus do better in groups so you might want to consider a bigger tank, say a 55 so you could have a happly little group.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

How much space do you have, dimensions and stuff?
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Thanks for the replies.  My husband and I went to some of the local aquarium shops around town today looking at discus and I think we decided not to get discus (cost per fish too expensive for our tiny budget).  We did find a tall 58 gallon aquarium that will fit in our apartment nicely.  It's on sale too so we're going to go get it this weekend.  We went by the Fish Ranch and saw so many cool fish that we would love to keep.  We love the South American Cichlids the best.
        58G Malawis
        10G planted

Comment

Discus can be challenging, but also rewarding.    What have you kept before?  There's usually at least one or two folks that frequent here that have "excess" fish for sale or trade when you decide what you want.  
          What part of town are you in?  Maybe we could steer you to some good bargains and reliable LFS's.

Comment

I've kept (successfully) african cichlids, oscars, other south american cichlids, silver dollars, various tetras and livebearers, and a puffer.  I have failed at goldfish (in 55 gallon tank) and angelfish several times.
            I live in the medical center.  I looked at Village Tropical and Fish Ranch recently.  I'm up for a challenge but not a struggle.  I saw on another discus forum about how you needed to do 3-7 water changes per week.  That turned me off a bit.  I usually do water changes 2-3 times per month.  Right now I have a 55 with south americans and a 10 gallon with a baby green spotted pufferfish.  My husband really wants a severum or two.  Since I do all the aquarium maintainance I have more of a say in what we get though. :)  But I have heard severums are the poor man's discus so he may be on the right track!
            58G Malawis
            10G planted

Comment

What is it with the puffer fish, everyone seems to have one except me.  I guess I'll have to look into getting a couple of dwarf puffers, first I'll have to find a place to put them.  I normally do a 30 to 40 percent water change on my Discus tank once a week unless they seem to be unhappy and then I do more.  I have three filters running on their tank so it stays pretty clean with a weekly water change.  Village is one of the best LFS's for quality fish.  If you decide to go with Discus there's a couple of people here who usually have some for sale at reasonable prices.

Comment

Once you see a puffer's cute little eyes looking at you you'll be hooked!  I love Village Tropical, I've bought some fish there over the years.  We'll be getting a house next year and I think we'll wait until then to get some discus so I won't have to move them.  By then my daughter will be old enough to let me have more time to tend to their more demanding needs.  I have to admit, they are beautiful.
                58G Malawis
                10G planted

Comment

Originally posted by sproett";p="
                  I'm up for a challenge but not a struggle.  
                  Great philosophy! And she's right, szidlon, puffers have such great personalities, they're irresistable. But don't feel too left out, I don't have any yet, either. And Severums are one of my favorite big South Americans, they're beautiful.  :)
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

If you get a larger tank - like the 58-, you should get angels! (I might be a little biased though...)

Ellen

Comment

Ellen,
                      Do you know a good site for angels?  I haven't tried keeping them since I first started the hobby.  What are their personalities like?  I like fish that seem to know I'm out here.  The tank we picked out is a 58 as a matter of fact.  It's a tall one, 36 inches long.  How many angels would thrive in there?  Any other useful info would be welcomed!  
                      Shannon
                      58G Malawis
                      10G planted

Comment

Oh do I! www.angelfish.net is home for me (literally!)

Angels have tons of personality, and they're always begging to be fed.

The general rule of thumb is 1 angelfish per 10 gallons, that would let you have 5 with some other fish, if you wanted something like cory cats or some tetras or something else in there with them. I don't know if you should go with 5 in that short of length of a tank though; that'd be a good ? for at angelfish.net!

IMO, you should look into getting angels that have been bred locally as opposed to those in the chain stores. I think you'll find you have much better success with locally bred fish. Village Tropical is a good place to start!

HTH!
                        Ellen

Comment

I know it's three months away, but the HAS auction is also a great place to pick up on Angelfish as well as other species.

Comment

Working...
                          X