Chloramines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chloramines

After you break the bond with the chlorine, how do you get rid of the left over ammoina before you put it into the tank?

Re: Chloramines

I use Prime

Comment

do you add this directly to your tank?

Comment

You can, or you could add it to the new water. A lot of dechlorinators out there now have the ability to also "rid" the water of chloramines. Prime is a good example, I use it as well. As long as your dechlorinator specifies chlorine and chloramine removal, you should be fine.  :)
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

ok thanks!

Comment

Zip drops and other simple chlorine removers will break the bond in Chloramine between the Chlorine and the Ammonia,
            and it binds Chlorine and most heavy trace metals.

The ammonia which is left behind should be in nominal amounts.
            However, you should test the ammonia level in your water after treating it.
            Ammonia test kits may give false readings if there is excessive amounts of zip drops in the tested sample.
            A high level of ammonia is toxic to fish. Symptoms include:
            Increased mucus layer on fishes mucus membrane, Swollen gills, Fin rot,
            Flicking against hard surfaces, Gasping at the surface of the water,
            Inability of fish to maintain its balance in the water.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
            X