Filter size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter size?

I am thinking about getting a Rena XP for my 29 planted. Should I get a XP 1  that is good for up to a 40 gallon or a XP2 that is good up to 75? The XP2 has more media space and a little more flow to it. I am leaning towards the XP2 since I am planning on an inline co2 reactor. any advice?

Re: Filter size?

go with the xp2 but i think the xp1 should work for you as well.

in my planted tank i actually went with the eheim 2213 which is suppose to put out about 100gph and it does almost perfect in my 20g. too much flow and your plants will be all over the place and growing with the flow. also if you have fish in the tank you have to consider them too, i dont have any in mine so i try for minimum flow and just enough to keep it from going stagnant
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

There is no such thing as too much power or too big a filter !!!!!
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

i usually overfilter my tanks by at least 10x but for the planted tank it looks better with just enough flow to circulate the tank. just my opinion on it.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I just noticed that the Eheim is about the same price any thoughts?

Comment

go for the eheim!

the eheim classic line is competitively priced to the filstar xp line but the eheim comes packed with media! the flow rate is less but it does a better job of getting water across the media for more "complete" filtration.

drsfostersmith.com has them on sale i believe.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

They're both great, from all that I've heard. In my opinion, though, if you have a choice, go with the eheim!
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I'm too cheap for either. I went with a generic ebay JEBO filter for my tanks. very similar to the eheim from what i've been told.
                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                n

Comment

Originally posted by gt3guru";p="
                  I'm too cheap for either. I went with a generic ebay JEBO filter for my tanks. very similar to the eheim from what i've been told.
                  Nothing is very similar to Eheim, from what I've been told.....But I'm with you I can't afford em'!!

Comment

actually the jebo is similar in appearance, really similar.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I bought a xp2 yesterday!! set it up, nice and easy, man is my water clear, I didn't know what i was missing!

Comment

yeah canisters are nice. i am going to stick to them from now on for my larger tanks, the silence is golden so to speak. i have and exp on my 60 and it has done great. i am gettin an ehiem though to add to my tang tank. cus my penguin 350 has kinda gone quirky, i might try a new impellor for it but who knows, anyway i want lots of filtration for the tang tank and one fluval 204 aint enough, so i am adding an ehiem 2213, glad you like your cannister, just as an addition i love the rena line, but it hasnt been out as long as ehiems and i have had soo many people get replacement parts so they can use their ehiem on another tank and never need a new one. i mean ehiems running for like 25 years. gotta love german enginearing (well mechanical) oh and their beer :wink:
                        Never fear I is here
                        David Abeles
                        Vice President
                        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                        X