Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deformed fish - Anybody keep any of yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deformed fish - Anybody keep any of yours?

I have a female guppy fry that when she was first born didnt look like anything was wrong with her.

After a month or so it was apparent she was either deformed or had a broken back.

Shes nearly a year old now, and has actually had several litters(all of which were angel food).
    She seems to be living perfectly normal, shes as fast as the others, eats the same amount and has sex!!

I dont remember who, but someone on this site had an angel with 2 anal fins when i first joined.
    Anybody else have any anatomically incorrect fish?

Re: Deformed fish - Anybody keep any of yours?

There's a guy over at cyphos.com with a two headed frontosa.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It is a common genetic deformity with guppies. It may only be expressed when there is a shortage of ascorbic acid in their diet. I cull these fish.

max

Comment

They are called "feeder fish".  
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

As a matter of fact, I do. I have a few red devils that are deformed.

One has no tail, but has a tail fin (2.5")
          And the others have bodies which resemble a hatchet fish (both are 4.25").

I haven't decided what to do w/ them (which is obvious judging by their sizes). I have so many RD's in that tank that I didn't even notice until they were about 2".

:bsofftopic: Shameless plug: If anyone knows of (or any of you for that matter) where I may can trade this litter of RD's @, please don't hesitate to let me know. I've been to City Pets, Fish Ranch, and Pet Ranch.  :signhelp:

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
            There's a guy over at cyphos.com with a two headed frontosa.
            No way!!!  Post a link to a picture if there is one.

Comment

I got a pike that got its snout bitten off by my puffer. Still amazed that its alive so Ive allowed it to continue living. Havent seen it eat however (its got like a sliver of jaw bone left) so it may pass away on its own soon. Hope it lives however! Hate to see fish that have struggled through hardship and live only to die.
              - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

That frontosa is cool, hes only a month old so he still doesnt know if hes going to make it to adulthood.

Comment

8O  That's a real eye opener  8O

I hope he'll let folks know how long or if it survives.
                  Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I also have a 1" Jaguar that was just about bitten in half 2-3 wks. ago by a Red Devil I have that is less than an inch long!!! This same Jaguar had its left eye taken by a larger Jaguar I have a few months ago. I just haven't decided to get rid of him yet...wanna see how long (or I guess how much) he will last...which is kinda cruel if you think about. But it's not like I intentionally put him in harm's way.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownsnoutuk";p="
                      Anybody else have any anatomically incorrect fish?
                      I've got a guppy with the same deformity as yours, although not quite as severe.  
                      I also have a molly that looks a bit off too, kinda like it's butth0le is off to one side - not in the the middle, and she (he? - dunno how to tell) wiggles an extra bit when she/he swims.  They both seem to get around fine, and don't get picked at by the others for their differences.  

A different case is 'Blindie', a Cherax Quad, blind in one eye, and sub-par coordination on that side.  Blindie and Goofy (my other Cherax Quad, who acts his/her hame) were bought together from the same place, and had all fingers and toes then.  I don't know why Blindie ended up blind, unless it was some disease/bacteria/fungi that wasn't contagious or didn't spread.  Blindie is the dominant one in that tank, which also houses several 1/4-1/2" common ditch crays, some baby guppies and ghost shrimp.  For some reason Blindie is much larger than Goofy now, although they were the same size when I got them, and several moultings haven't restored any of his/her handicaps (which I didn't expect anyway).

I'll leave them all be - after all, my parents let me live even though shortly after I was born, the sun made these spots show up all over me - There's GOT to be something wrong with that.  If I were to notice that they got super picked at, or were dying, I would try to work up the gumption to put them out of their misery or maybe make a special 'invalid home' for them.
                      The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                      Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brownsnoutuk";p="
                        That frontosa is cool, hes only a month old so he still doesnt know if hes going to make it to adulthood.

http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthr...highlight=head

thats it right there. so far its still alive and eating so who knows what will become of it.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Spot86t:

"I'll leave them all be - after all, my parents let me live even though shortly after I was born, the sun made these spots show up all over me - There's GOT to be something wrong with that.  If I were to notice that they got super picked at, or were dying, I would try to work up the gumption to put them out of their misery or maybe make a special 'invalid home' for them. "

Cool, we all have different goals and ambitions with our fish and reasons for keeping them. Sometimes I post without thinking presuming everyone has the same motivation that I do. I try to remember to say what I do and not what someone else should do. The fish belong to you and you are the steward in charge of their care. I respect what you do and the reasons you give for doing it.

max

Comment

Why thanks Max, for realizing that everyone has their own reasons for what they do.  I had not taken offense that you cull - I know many do.  I've had to do it with my tads during summer to keep the stronger/healthier ones going.  Like Spock said - The life of the one for the lives of the many (or something like that, it's been a while).   Leaving those odd ones gives me something to "check on" when I do my fishwatching.  Makes me feel good when I see that they're all doing well.  Kinda like seeing a big tortoise actually make it all the way across the road...  (WooHoo!!  Go!! slowpokey Go!!)

Of course part of me is just a softie.  Just a week or so ago, I stopped at that little joint on Wahl in Crosby to get a few red crawfish for a tank.  Out of this half filled sack of near dead ones, one little guy raised up and waved his single claw at me as if to say - "you're not gonna eat me!"  so I looked at him and thought 'C'mon little guy, I'm gonna take you home!'  Well, for some reason, he didn't make it, even though I did all I could think of to save him.   Perhaps he just wasn't meant for captive life (or the weight of those other 5 sacks that were piled on top of him in the cooler).  I was so so sad though. I did my best, but it just wasn't good enough.  I think sometimes God has to remind me I can't save them all.

I'm rooting for the Frontosa to win it's challenge  :)

Spot
                            The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                            Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

I love deformed animals. As long as they were not deformed on purpose. That frontosa is amazing!

Comment

Working...
                              X