AROWANA EMERGENCY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AROWANA EMERGENCY

GOOD DAY ALL, I cleaned my 90gal and 48gal yesterday the 90 has one arowana and 2 black tiger oscars the 48 has 2 albino tiger oscars and one common pleco.                                      Idid everything as always but changed yhe albinos to the 90 and put the black onnes in the 48. LAST NIGHT THE AROWANA STARTED TO GASP FOR AIR AT THE TOP OF THE TANK THIS MORNING SHE IS STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN BARELY BREATHING i REACHED IN THE TANK AND CAN JUST PICK HER UP NO FIGHT TO GET AWAY AT ALL. i just looked on her and she appears to have passed on so this message will work to get info for further info for latter use. SHOCK is the obvious answer but i did nothing different EXCEPT switch the oscars around.Can y'all help share some insight as to what other things could of happened.
    Rick
    150 gal EMPTY C siphon w/29 gal sump
    110 gal empty cannister
    90 gal reef ready oceanic trickle filter
    29 gal long hob
    30 gal tall hob
    10 gal hob

Re: AROWANA EMERGENCY

Did you use tap water?
    Straight from the faucet?
    Aggression? Oscars wouldn't be my first pick for tankmates
    Temp of water going in,temp now?
    Ammonia,nitrites,nitrates?
    Filters running? Did they lose power?
    How are the albino oscars?

If the 48g checks out good move the arowana over!

More info!!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'm sorry you lost your Arowana   .  The response to you inquiry may be a little slow as it's Christmas weekend and it's been pretty slow here.  I've never had an arrowana myself so I won't be of much help to you.  If you could provide a little more information it might help someone else answer you question.  

When you say you cleaned the tank, how clean do you mean?  Did you completely break it down, wash the substrate and filter media?  If so, you need to cycle the tank again or at least get some BioSpira to get the good bacteria going.  Where did you have the arowana during cleaning process? Could it be when you returned him/her to the tank there was a significant temperature difference, not to mention the change in water conditions?  Would a couple of large water changes have improved the water quality rather than completely breaking down the tank?
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Did all the water test last night.Everything checked out perfect.However, the Ph was a little high on the regular PH test card but PH on the high range  was at the lowest readable color 7.4
        filter never stopped.
        temp is 77 degrees.
        nitrite and nitrate all good.
        tap water to sump to treat with stress coat then pump to tank.
        I didn't do anything seemingly different this is why i'm a little confused at the present time losses happen randomly  for no apparent reason but i sure hate when tragedy hits my pride and joy.
        WANTED ONE AROWANA SILVER OR POSSIBLY A JARDANI I know good LFS to purchas one at. JUST LOOKING FOR THE BEST DEAL AROUND TOWN IT'S THE SEASON WOE'S MONEY'S TIGHT BUT I GOTTA FIND THAT FISH.
        THANX ALL
        RICK
        Rick
        110 gal empty cannister
        29 gal long hob
        30 gal tall hob
        10 gal hob

Comment

I don't know how large you are looking for but Houston Aquatics on North Shepherd had a couple of large arowanas that looked like they needed a new home.  That was a week or so ago, you might call before you make a trip over there.
          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Proabably the oscars then, imo not that great of a tankmate and a dirty one at that.

Sorry for your lost, we had a asian gold/green of 14yrs pass the other year and it was like losing a family member.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Once after cleaning some of my tanks I noticed about two hours later that fish in one of the tanks were stressing out alot.  I had to do another water change (40%) and they seemed to do better the second time around.  I did remember that the towel I was using to dry off the outside glass (top and sides) after I was cleaning the tank fell partially into the tank.  I'd say about 4 inches or so of the towel was soaked.  I can only assume that chemicals on the towel from the laundry detergent was the cause.

I try to make sure I rinse my hands, arms and anything I use when maintaining my tanks, but sometimes we miss something.  It may be something out of your control......a spouse or someone using some of your stuff....a bucket perhaps for something other than maintaining your tanks.

Raul
              Raul
              PokerFace

Comment

thanks rocket that sounds like its a possibilty mostly i have all my stuff for tank cleaning in one area special towels buckets the whole 9 yards but sh-t happens it's something I haven't thought of and plausible to.!
                Rick
                110 gal empty cannister
                29 gal long hob
                30 gal tall hob
                10 gal hob

Comment

Raul now that i look backed over what you said it's almost identical as to what i saw in my 90 happen last night. however, there was only the one fish effected and i didn"t have the presence of mind to at least try another water change since no other fish were effected
                                                               THANKS RICK
                  Rick
                  110 gal empty cannister
                  29 gal long hob
                  30 gal tall hob
                  10 gal hob

Comment

WANTED ONE AROWANA SILVER OR POSSIBLY A JARDANI I know good LFS to purchas one at. JUST LOOKING FOR THE BEST DEAL AROUND TOWN IT'S THE SEASON WOE'S MONEY'S TIGHT BUT I GOTTA FIND THAT FISH.
                    THANX ALL
                    RICK
                    Aqua Zoo has one Jardani left, call and check it out.
                    Sorry for your loss!

Comment

Working...
                    X