oxygen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxygen

im going  to use 100% oxygen on my tanks how long should i run it on a tank per day

Re: oxygen

Well, why? I think the air strips chemicals from the water  that are harmful. I am not sure oxygen will do this any better than air. The other thing it does is make ripples on the surface that increase the surface area where oxygen is absorbed. Again, I am not sure oxygen will be any better than air. Now if you use as much oxygen as air it should be better but if you use less it may not be as good. This much oxygen in a closed room may create a fire hazard. What all is in this tank?

max

Comment

im putting it in my 30gl with small chiclids to try and increase there growth maybe im thinking wrong  thats why i need advice on it ive heard the fish farms use it to get there fish to size to sell

Comment

I don't know you have got me on this one. Maybe some of the cichlid experts will offer an opinion?

max

Comment

I've only heard of using O2 for shipping fish, not injecting it into the tank??
          Maybe you could just have the fish use these for more o2... :wink:

Comment

The fish farms probably use oxygen because of the huge numbers of fish they keep. ive never seen a fish farm but to be cost/space effective they probably have a deep tank rather than a long tank. There wouldnt be a high surface to air ratio so the oxygen would have to be pumped into the water.

Thats my thoughts anyway, maybe im 100% wrong..

Comment

Probably a waste of money if anything.

I would add a powerhead near the surface for agitation or get a wet/dry trickle filter for more gas exchange and increase oxygen absorption.

I think the best thing for growth is routine water changes(weekly/bi-weekly @30-50%), good diet(NewLifeSpectrum) and a big tank(the bigger the better unlees you have little fry and with that I would upgrade as needed or grow them out to a bigger tank).
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

use of pure oxygen will be an added expense that will not help much. In order to increase the growth rate some things do actually help. the first thing I would do would be to increase the frequency and percentage of water changes. I would do about 50% daily and I would increase the number of feedings, while decreasing the amount I feed each time. 6 to 8 small feedings a day with 50% or better water change dialy will increase the growth rate of your fish. You will also gain an improved immune system and see an improvement in the fins. If you follow this proceedure and the genetics are there, you will see "specimen" type fish. Your fish will grow faster, they will grow larger and you will have less disease issue. This is one reason larger hatcheries use automatic water change systems, it cuts down on labor and gives better fish.
                GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

I'm with ek on this one...water changes, nutricious food, and space are the most important factors for growth. And like max said, as long as the water's surface is sufficiently agitated (not stagnant/filmy) and there is ample room, your fish will get enough oxygen.  :)
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

ive never heard of 50% water changes daily that sounds crazy

Comment

My angel fry tanks are on a 200% daily water change thru the use of constant fresh water flow. With good water quality, surface agitation, and a good diet you will be able to grow your fry out at double the rate if not more.
                      It is a must to use a TDS meter when injecting oxygen as the high concentration of oxygen allows the water cloumn to absorb more waste gasses and particulates increasing the TDS count of your water, which in turn leads to narcosis and embolisms. Better to airate and do your water changes. Oxygenating the water should be left to the professionals who can afford the neccessary equipment to ensure its proper use.
                      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

If you have never heard of 50% and larger daily water changes, you have never talked to a breeder or read any books by folks like Dr. Norton. Dr. Norton, who passed away recently (and a great loss to angelfish fans) was the worlds foremost expert on angelfish genetics and in her writings she mentioned doing water changes of 90% plus at a time, she commented that her fish had to lay on their sides to stay wet during water changes. She published the most detailed accounts of breeding results ever written.
                        My grow out tanks are on an auto water change system and get 50% water changes daily. My show tanks do not get that. High volume, high frequency water changes is one guarantteed way of keeping your fish growing to their maximum potential and reduce disease and immune problems. If you call success crazy, then I am glad to be crazy. Check out some books written by the best discus breeders and you will find them talking about huge daily water changes. Let's face it, all a filter does is reduce the time allowed between water changes. Filtering is what we do instead of water changes.
                        GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Fabian - just keep in mind that Scott and Obed are talking about fry tanks, grow-out tanks, in which hundreds of fry are placed in order to grow them to a good size, a lot of the times so they can sell/distribute them to others. If you're aim is just to let a couple of cichlids grow into an adult size, then keep with regular water changes and such, and everything will work out great. Maybe it would help if you could explain what your intentions are? i.e. huge breeding operation vs. small tank with a couple juveniles.  :wink:  Yes, water changes of over 50% daily are a must with a huge number of fry, but, well, I guess it all depends on your situation.  

Comment

so yall are saying take out 50%of water  or is it considered a water change if you have two hob filters and a canister filter i use about three filters on my tank

Comment

You can have 50 filters on a tank, but unless you take out water and replace with new water it's not a water change.

Comment

Working...
                              X