PU that STINKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PU that STINKS

I was walking by the big tank I set up Sunday afternoon and I got a wiff of something FOUL!  Took me a while to realize it but the water in the tank smells AWFUL!

there is one large cichlid and 3 goldfish. there were some plants that I just removed and no organic matter I can find.

I would suspect an anerobic bacteria would create a smell, but i don't think there is anything that could create it.

Its only been inside for 2 days and most of the water is fresh.

What could it be?
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Re: PU that STINKS

What decorations do you have in there? Filter? Etc.....

I have had shells that was buried smell horrible and then there's sand....
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Its almost empty. no substrate, no decorations, a well cycled but undersized filter which will be replaced before the big puffer comes.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
      n

Comment

Maybe you have some prime/amquel spilled somewhere or open? That stuff stinks
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I buy this stuff called Clear Water by a company named Jungle Labs (available at Walmart or your local pest store) that works great.  It keeps the water clear and gets rid of the occational funky smell, with the quickness.  The only down side is that it comes out in an odd purplish liquid that may stain, says so on the bottle.  Yet, my tank rarely smells.

Comment

i would rather find the cause and go through with proper cleaning then add chemicals to remedy an obvious problem but thats just my opinion.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

pardone moi

Comment

You checked the inside of your filter right?
                I had a piece of zuchini get stuck in the inlet tube and rot in there. i have no idea how it got in through the mesh inlet cover but it did.  The water smelt stagnant.

Comment

no need Smokemeakipper, we are different people and have different ways of doing things which is what makes a good forum. different opinions and ideas  
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Let it be known for the record, I clean my tank religiously and only pour in a few drops of conditioner to add that extra sparkle.   :wink:

Comment

D@MN, the smell woke me up last night..  Must have been a bad dream cause the tank isn't half as bad this morning. I think some plants must have been rotting.

I cleaned the filter when i brought the tank in.
                      n

Comment

do you have any bulb plants? or anything with a bulge for roots?

i had a crinum wilt away and i thought i got it all but there was still a bit of the bulb left and it smelled horrible!
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

How can you tell if a bulb is rotted?  I have an algae eater who likes to push a bulb around from time to time.  Should I throw it away?  I think he likes it.

Comment

i think if its super soft, changing colors(turning black) or smelling then i would throw it away.

at least thats how mine was when i found it.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What type of filter do you use?? You can always add some new carbon to it and that always helps with odor.  8)

Comment

Working...
                              X