Some Pictures of Natives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Pictures of Natives

Just took some of these last night, wanted to share them.  

This isn't a great picture, but I like it anyway. The boys get really picky at eachother, especially right after they eat.

These are of the female swamp darter. For some reason they've been really skittish the past couple of weeks, so I wasn't able to get any pictures of the male. But she peeked out every so often and I tried my best.

Last edited by Mzungu; 05-29-2009, 09:05 AM.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Some Pictures of Natives

So are those native Houstonians? They are very good looking ones! Good job!

Comment

Well, actually, they're native Floridians. They've relocated.  :wink:

Comment

lookin good!!

got any full tank shots? looks like a really nice tank setting you have there! where did you get those from?
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What pretty fish!! Nice photography skills also!  

Ellen

Comment

Thanks everyone!

The bluefin killies, Lucania goodei (sp?), came from my grandparent's neighborhood in Largo, Florida. Well, actually, most of them. Three are different - one came from a LFS in Tallahassee, swimming around with guppies and ghost shrimp (his tail's more of an orange than a red) and two came as eggs at the LFS I worked at when I did an order of plants...checking the tanks out one day, I saw two little fry swimming around.

The darters, although native to Florida, came from the same LFS as the different-colored bluefin killie, same tank.  

I can try for a full tank shot tonight, if you'd like. It's really just clumps of moss interspersed with a few groups of stem plants (oh, and a never-ending plague of duckweed)!    I've had an ongoing debate with myself for the past couple of months whether to give up the whole premise of the tank and use "non-collected" plants. Everything in there I've collected, but I'm getting really bored with some of it, and after getting some Myrio and Cabomba from Smokin_Cache...well, technically, they're native! I also put the two flagfish I got from the HAS auction in there, so I've already cheated.  

But I'll get some pictures of the tank tonight.  :)

Comment

what kind of lighting do you have on your tank?
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Just one 96w compact fluorescent, coralife fixture with a sunpaq dual daylight bulb (which I LOVE). It's a 40 breeder, so it's not really "high light," but it works with what I have in there. I know the myrio would do well, not sure about the cabomba. But I did a big clean up of the tank last night. I'll post some pictures in a little bit.  :)

Comment

I had kind of a crazy forest thing going on in there, so I spent some time last night and trimmed a lot of it. Also did a water change, so sorry the pictures are kind of cloudy.

Here's what it looked like before 8O :

And after:

Got a couple more pictures of the fish, and one really blurry one of the male darter.

Here's the male with more of an orange tail

And here's another one of one of the guys showing off

So, the fish like the right side of the tank because of all the moss to hide in and swim through and spawn. Still need to figure out the left side!  

Comment

I love all the plants. I wish I could get mine to grow like that. Szid helped me figure out that I need low light plants, so now I am hunting for driftwood and plants.

Comment

Well, most of the plants I gave you a while back are low light, so that's good!    Most of the plants in this tank aren't demanding at all as to light requirements, and I'm very glad.  :)

Comment

great looking tank! i like the bed of moss and it seems the little guys like too!
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks! They do, and it's been useful every once in a while for fry to escape everyone else - just two weeks or so ago I found a baby killie venturing out during feeding time!  

Comment

so do the little ones make it or once they peek out it becomes snack time?
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

So far that's the only one that's made it! And these guys spawn all the time! But I think if I see them, they've made it long enough to survive. I imagine if I can see them, then the fish definitely can! I'm glad I've never seen anyone get eaten, but I'm pretty sure the others find the eggs before they hatch and snack away.

Here's one of the babies checking out a snail:
                              Last edited by Mzungu; 05-29-2009, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X