Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great happiness, followed by sadness.

I finally got my filter in

But after I tried to stick it underneath my cabinet, I found that I was about 10 inches too short, dangit! I don't even know what to do, if I leave it outside of the cabinet I'll have to buy all kinds of extra hoses and stuff, plus I know.... I just know I will find a barbie swimming in it. gaaaaah!

I still have to find an overflow box and a sump pump too. Yes, this is a time of great sadness and woe =(
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
    Co-President of CAK

Re: Great happiness, followed by sadness.

is this going under your 135?

empty the tank and go from the back, have you tried that? whats stopping you from getting it in there? height? width?

if its the height get elbows for the overflow if it doesnt already come with them. if its the length not allowing to maneuver the sump into the stand? drain the water pull the tank out and remove the center brack in the back, should allow for more "swing" room. what i had to do to get the sump under my 135g.

did you buy it locally? all-glass right? return policy? why didnt you measure before hand?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I never measured anything =(

But I definatly don't want to take it back.

The problem isn't with the installing of it, it's that the actual cabinet is too short to accomodate it, even if I used elbows for the two intakes.. bleh!

Whats probably going to end up happening is I will put it in between the couch and the tank, bleh.

David Seratt
      Co-President of CAK

Comment

I don't see what the problem really is ... I mean the solution is obvious ... buy a tank and stand that will accomodate the wet/dry.

Simple ... elegant ... self serving ... what else could you ask for?

Logan5
        There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

logan5 does have a point  
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

You know.. the thought has crossed my mind.. but I'm having a hard enough time hiding how much I spend on this stuff already, I'm afraid to keep pushing my luck.. I feel like such a bad person :P

'mmmhmm, and how much was THAT I thought you weren't spending anymore money on this stuff'

"Look at it *knock knock* don't let the size fool you it's just a big plastic filter box.. it was like $60, sheesh."

David Seratt
            Co-President of CAK

Comment

i get that "I though you werent spending anymore" crap all the time, maybe its time we let the "honey, i swear its the last thing" die already.....

i use to get away with make believe prices but eventually she caught on.

have you though about elevting the stand? maybe add some 2x4's on top of the stand to elevate the tank higher or something. where did you buy it at? swap for a smaller one.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Problem is, the stand was built pretty solid, it's solid on the top and bottom.

I got the filter from the LFS and I really like it, what I'm thinking is I'm going to end up getting a different stand, bleh. ooooooooooh unless,UUUUUNLEEEESS what if I put the filter perpendicular to the stand.... you know....

See the only part thats too tall is the inlet side.. hmmm. so if I stuck it out the back of the cabinet then I could make this work... whatcha think?

David Seratt
                Co-President of CAK

Comment

i was thinking about that too but you said you were short ~14" so i figured the whole thing didnt fit.

the only problem i see with that is the tank would take up more floor space and the unsightly gap between the tank and wall. but if you dont mind then go for it! have you measured it to see if it would work like that?

another thing is, if you set it up like that you will have slack on you overflow tubes(vacuum cleaner tubes) and that might cause a lot of gurgling noises so see if you can shorten them or replace them with shorter ones.

im suprised you havent tried getting it in yet or drain your tank trying.....
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

well, the only reason I haven't gotten that far is I am still missing a couple of pieces, I need a pump, overflow box and some kind of spray bar. (shows how well I thought this through huh?)

As far as the gap, I believe I have something like six inches between the stand and the wall right now anyways so that the front of the stand would be even with the table beside it.. it's not much but it might be just enough to work, I'll check when I get home.

As far as the hoses go, I'm thinking I will have to replace them no matter what I do, if I am able to place it under the stand they are going to be too long but if I place it next to the stand they will be too short.. either way I go it seems i'm giong to have to replace them. bleh. I shoulda just bought a couple good canister filters.. this thing better be worth it for the trouble :P

David Seratt
                    Co-President of CAK

Comment

dude, how much did you pay for it?

i have found that getting a wet/dry complete bundle is much cheaper than trying to piece one together.

for overflows i have found that they can cost a pretty penny! upwards to $100. with the output just get a nozzle, like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...04+113783+2035
                      also it looks like that sump is designed for dual overflows so tack that up.

also keep in mind that your overflow needs to keep up with you pump and vice versa.

let me know if you need any help.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Ask around and you may find a custom acrylic jobber who will modify the filter for you.   They are usually reasonable if you don't have to pay for the plastic.
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

hey david, saw this and think if you plan on continuing it might help

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, registered and pm'd/responded/smokesignaled, sheeeeesh I'm back in business =)

David Seratt
                            Co-President of CAK

Comment

Ohyeah, to make it fit... I'm going to take my jigsaw and cut a hole in the floor of the stand.. then if thats not enough, I'm going to put the stand up on some wood blocks, muwahahahahha, I'm back baby!

David Seratt
                              Co-President of CAK

Comment

Working...
                              X