Fish for cichlid tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish for cichlid tank?

I am setting up a new 55g tank.  I want it to be a cichlid tank.  What and how many cichlids do you recommend for this tank?  I have a pair of kribensis in my 30g community tank.  These are the kind of cichlids I am interested in.  Something small (nothing over about 5 or 6 inches) and only semi-aggressive.    I haven't decided if the kribs will be moved or stay where they are.  Suggestions (type and number)?  Also, I know they are bigger, but will a leporinus or black ghost knifefish be appropriate for this tank?  Thanks.

Re: Fish for cichlid tank?

I've never seen a leporinus stop growing.  I don't suggest putting a black ghost with cichlids.  

Your limit will prolly be about 6-8 fish if they are around 6".  You could do more if you had Rams, Demansoni, Hongi, Corys, bristlenose, etc., these should stay at a reasonable size.  

Raul
    Raul
    PokerFace

Comment

If your a looking for Demasoni to put in your new tank, let me know, I have eight that are all around 2-2.25". They max size of Demasoni is between 3.5-4". 3 bucks each. These fish are currently in a 30L with an 7" Red Empress. rrocket2002 saw them at the swap. I think he did anyway, he left with just about all the fish I brought. Just let me know.

I usually do 6 inches of fish per 10 gallons. Alot will also depend on how much filteration you plan to run also. The more you filter and if you water change right the more fish you can put in. At one point I had 35 3inch Red empress in a 75 gallon but I also had two magnum 350 filtering the tank.

Comment

This page has some "cookie cutter" Cichlid setups (both African and South American) for 55 gallon tanks including a West Africa set up which includes Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher):

Other sized tank suggestions are there as well.

Personally, I'd go for an African setup with Electric Yellow Labs (Labidochromis caeruleus) and some Peacocks (Aulonocara).  In my opinion they are some of the nicer looking specimens and, as far as Africans go, less aggressive (especially the Yellows.)  ...but I'm no expert myself.

The cookie cutter page that I linked will give you an idea of the number of fish but I've been advised by many that with Africans it's always better to slightly over filter and overstock.

Comment

I remember your Demansoni.  They were nice specimens, I already had some though.....otherwise I prolly would have bought those too.  8)
          Raul
          PokerFace

Comment

Rrocket2002:  i figured the ghost knife was a no-go but they are so cool

Cichlidsooner:  the Demasoni look absolutely beautiful, but sound more aggressive than I want.

Jtfields:  thanks for the link.  Electric yellows and peacocks both sound exactly like what I am looking for.  Also looking at leleupi and azureus.  Any more info or suggestions would be appreciated.  Also, what type of catfish would do best in this setup.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

If I get rid of my cichlids that I have for sale by this weekend I will buy the demasoni's from you. I am trying to make room in my 150 gallon aquarium for other type of fish. I have some demosoni's in a 30L right now that I want to move to a larger tank.
              150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
              125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
              115G Tanganyikan

Comment

The labs are a good idea, as are more kribs. And yeah, if you're looking for the less aggressive types, I wouldn't go with the demasoni! If you're willing to migrate over to the Americans, Bolivian rams are pretty cool, as well. They seem to me to be similar in disposition to kribs.

As for catfish, it all depends on how picky you are as to staying within a general biotope and what cichlids you eventually pick. If you do something with peacocks and labs, then it depends on whether you want a worker fish or a show fish, or both! Bristlenose, like Raul said, will stay within the size limits and seem to be active day and night. But...synodontis are awesome fish, and come from the Rift Lakes as well.
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

If you do decide to go the Peacock route, let me know. I am currently breeding Orange, Sunshine, Chipoka, Red Empress, Lemon Jake, Flame Tail, and altho not a true peacock they are often kept with them as they are quite similar, Borleyi.
                  Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

If you decide to go with Yellow Labs I have some I'm trying to thin out in sizes from 1" to 4-5".  They'll probably end up at the LFS in a few weeks.
                    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I also have some Mareli peacocks, they are all around 2.5" I am for sure that there is 2 males, yes they have color. If you are looking to go that route. I also have a Golden Hybrid Peacock 3". Alot of people get, lets say unhappy about hybrids, but these are awesome looking fish and not many people have them and the color is unbelievable. However they sell like hot cakes at evey auction I have taken them to. I have pics if your interested. Need a regular email address to send the pics to, so if you email me at willj006@aol.com I shoot some over to you. I am not sure if I should even call them hybrids anymore, long story and I ain't typing that much.

As for the Demasoni, they got a bad rap, they are mean to each other, but I don't have a problem with them jacking with my other fish. In one tank, I have a breeding trio plus one more female, electric yellows and hybrid peacocks. No problems in that tank. Had 3 males in 125g with calvus, yeah I know you are not suppose to do that, but still didn't have a problem. I have found that if there is enough rock the fighting is very limited. My peacocks are more aggressive than my demasoni.

If decide on some Synodantius catfish, I have a few extras of those also. Two, both are 4".

Comment

Originally posted by Stepmonkey";p="
                        Also, what type of catfish would do best in this setup.
                        As others have said, if you want a "sucker catfish" to clean the tank (i.e. Pleco) then I too have heard that the Bristlenose is the best.  Personally I'm going to try and get one or two Albino Bristlenose Plecos for my setup.  If you don't want a Pleco, I've heard of some having success with Red Tail Sharks (catfish) with Cichlids.  I don't know if these are the types that will do the best.  They are just the ones I was considering based on what I've read.

If you are serious about Cichlids then you will want to spend some time at the Chichlid Forums:

A forum community dedicated to Cichlid Fish owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about breeding, health, behavior, housing, adopting, care, classifieds, and more!

There is a wealth of information there as well as many helpful Cichlid fanatics.

Comment

Red tail sharks go well with cichlids, for a fish with no teeth, it ran my 125g for awhile, after it hit 6" I had to get rid of it, it was chase fish to death. Red tail was chasing fish so much I was afriad it was going to die of a heart attack.  I think I still have pics of this fish with cichlids.

Comment

After digging through the computer, I have found two pics. One is a black red tail and the other is the albino. The pics show these fish with cichlids. The black one is with a tawain reef, compressiceps, a frontosa and the lips of a red empress. Albino is with placidochromis phenochilus tanzania.

Comment

Originally posted by cichlidsooner";p="
                              After digging through the computer, I have found two pics.
                              Did you put it in the Photo Gallery?  I couldn't find it there.

Comment

Working...
                              X