nutrient targets anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nutrient targets anyone?

Anyone know what I should be targetting as far as nutrients are concerned in my planted tanks?

Nitrates? Phosphates? Iron? Potassium? Co2?

And more importantly ... how does one test for Iron and Potassium?

THanks
    Logan5
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Re: nutrient targets anyone?

I had a page bookmarked on my laptop but its in the shop for a new screen.

I will try and find and post it here but to tell you the truth I have been using the EI method along with the chart from seachem. I don't test much or often either. No algae and everything looks healthy.

here it is.....

CO2 range 25-30 ppm
    NO3 range 5-30 ppm
    K+ range 10-30 ppm
    PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
    Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher
    GH range 3-5 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
    KH range 3-5
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

How does one test potassium and iron though?  From all I've read so far, Iron test kits are unreliable and I haven't seen a potassium test kit that I can afford.

Thanks
      Logan5
      There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

If you use KNO3 as your potassium source, measuring NO3 levels indirectly tells you if there is sufficient potassium available.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...potassium.html <-- is a good link, I think it talks about what you're asking.

Ellen

Comment

When i started dosing (without enough CO2) i got a huge algea bloom, and I never got past 10ppm nitrates
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
          n

Comment

to tell you the truth i just wing it. i think i might have checked parameters maybe once or twice.

i never witness a algae bloom and i rarely see string algae but its nice and green but minimal.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I agree with Ek.. you can go greyheaded worrying about having the exact perfect conditions for everything but truth of the matter is.. if you just add a baseline amount and do your maintenance properly you will more than likely be fine. If you see your leaves start to turn yellow though, then bump up the potassium a little bit until the green returns.. just remember it's like adding salt to soup, if you add a little at a time you can always add more, but once you dump in too much, you can never turn it around. (although unlike soups, in a fishtank you can just drain a lot of water and refill)

Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby to ease the stress of everyday life, not one that sends me into cardiac arrest becuse I'm afraid of crashing it.

BTW heres a link that may be usefull to you..

Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
              Co-President of CAK

Comment

Working...
              X