Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Rrocket and Eklikewhoa +anyone else wanting some new :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Rrocket and Eklikewhoa +anyone else wanting some new :)

bah hahaha, yes it has been slow... but... heres what I did yesterday.. logged for your amusement =)

BTW Thanks SmokinCache for all the stuff

Ok, todays story starts out with me draining water into a FEMA bucket for my fish to have temporary housing during the ensuing natural disaster.

I employed the assistance of my specially trained helper-babies to complete this task..

The plants went into an ice chest (though I had to add more water later because some of the leaves that were sticking out of the water started freaking out). This also shows 1 of the lights that I recently purchased, its one of the single 36inch 50/50 10,000k+actinc 96watt systems.

Here is the housing bucket with my favorite plant floating in it to give the fish a hiding spot, comes complete with heating system, filter and carbon box.

It is at this point that things took a turn for the worse......

You see, mrs. ramius is a stay at home mother of 4, and has not left the cave for anything other than milk in over six years... so recently mrs. ramius has been helping a friend of hers with a business venture.. where they go into forclosed trailer houses and strip them of whatever they can to put in her friends resale shop, in return they wash the trailer up for the person who did the reposessing.

What does that have to do with todays project? Well, recently mrs ramius confiscated a very large roll of carpet somehow and has been itching to put it in the living room, the only thing saving me from this task was the 1 ton jug of water sitting in the corner... after all the water was down and the fish were out she began shoveling the old substrate out with a madness that I just could not understand. Then.. in a final moment of clarity, much like when you know the train is about to make contact with you.. it hit me.

We would be installing carpet today.

Shortly after this was realized I had to move the fish housing into the bathroom.. remember what i said about things turning for the worse? Well... the fish house broke.. in half, sounding like thunder and 2 of the 4 horsemen. I even think I heard some fish "eek".

Some how.. and again I do not know how.. we managed to get the fish into my bathtub. There were no immediate casualties.

(Tub Tank)

(Upset helper babies)

[Ohyeah, this thread is not modem friendly.. might want to turn around ifn you got one] =)
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
    Co-President of CAK

Re: For Rrocket and Eklikewhoa +anyone else wanting some new

Heres where the tank usta-was. (Last view of old carpet)

Mrs. Ramius working hard for her carpet (Could she have confiscated a worse color?)

Where the tank now sits, on the opposite wall, underneath a picture older than time itself portraying how Native American Indians used different plants to create dye for their looms. Note the addition of 240 lbs of Eco Complete, woot!

What a mess!!!! And the Pink... it's overpowering my camera!!! Noooooooez!

ahhhhh, things are coming together, but this picture makes me sad and I will explain why.. for one, it makes me understand art, and I hate that... how one person can look at a photo/painting and see one thing, but based on different life experiences another person can have a totally different feeling.

You: See a tank coming together, getting filled up.. calm...peace..zen.

Me: The dark windows indicate I have been  up all day, I work at night so I was up the night before, and I have to go to work shortly again (Ramius is fueled by red bull). The 'python' on the right is my new hose, after my 25 footer was about 10 foot too short to reach the tank in it's new location, again, this was discovered at 7:45 pm and I have to leave for work at 10:00, and I have fish stressed out in my tub. I see Hectic chaotic sadness =)

I run to lowes, and they had 45 foot of 5/8ths tubing.. I bought it all for $13.50.. hooked my old python fittings on and began filling. Yes... in houston, well water is coming out of the ground at -100 degrees, so as it's filling, I'm running hot water from the bath tub into a five gallon bucket and running back and forth.. can you actually believe the mixture was a perfect 81 degrees when the tank was full? Thank God for sweet mercies.

(Helper baby proud of her work) Note the radioactive pink rays coming off of the carpet.

Things are finally coming together....

David Seratt
    Co-President of CAK

Comment

In conclusion....

I am about 90% done, I still have massive amounts of plants to install (I had juuust enough time to put a couple in for the fish's sake)

There were 3 casualties today,

1 Neon
      1 German Blue Ram
      1 Green Barb

Seriously.. I about flipped my wig at least a dozen times today.. and I can only imagine how stressfull it was for the fish. I need to watch them close the next few days and make sure no others croak.

Unfortunatly I also had to take my 20 gallon brackish tank apart too, you see, in the middle of all of this.. my dragonfish finally did it, he mucked up his very own tank to the point that the impellor on his filter broke, or rather, the shaft that it spins on got sand in it, and chewed itself up.. so in the middle of all this I had to remove the dragonfish.. I ended up giving him to the LFS.. now, I had to put a green puffer in with the fresh water fish (as if things weren't bad enough for them already)

This is an extremely temporary situation, I'm well aware of the un-goodness of puffer fish in a community tank, and also in fresh water.. he's a big pain in the butt fish to keep but.. I love him. It's the only fish I've ever seen that uses his tail fin as a rudder.. thats just.. cool =-)

I have to find a new impellor tomorrow though.. grrr.

He will have some of the substrate that I pulled from the tank.. it's black/white rock with a some flourite mixed in too, I'd like to dabble a little in brackish plants (if at all possible).

And thus concludes todays entry for "Adventures in the life of a wanna-be aquariest. -By Dr. Ramius"

David Seratt
      Co-President of CAK

Comment

LOL........

I love it!

Nice helpers by the way.

I'm really surprised you didn't lose all your fish after the accident and putting them in the bath tub.  

Thanks for sharing.

Raul
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

Wow! So that's what everyone is doing lol. I really like the fish in the bath tub. Hmm, wonder if I could do that. Just kidding. I get away with a lot but there is no way I could do that! Sorry about the casualties. I guess things happen.

max

Comment

Sounds like you had a blast!

I'm still trying to level my 125, also the stand seems kinda wobbly. Gets kinda time consuming trying to see if its because of the leveling or warped filling and emptying the water.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

ooh, speaking of leveling I'm so mad... in the old spot the tank was in the center of the house and sat within a foot of a beam running down the length of the house.. perfectly level..

In it's new spot it's on the outside wall of the house.. and it has a sliiiiiight lean to the right, gaaah.

If I would have known about it before I would have gone to lowes and picked up a sheet of styrophome to put underneath.

Is it too late to try that with yours? I can help out if you need an extra hand with moving it or something too, just lemmie know =)

David Seratt
              Co-President of CAK

Comment

i finally got mine leveled and mine is on tile and not carpet but i use the little wooden wedges and parts of a pait mixing stick from home depot.

thanks for the offer to help! lucky me i had my little brother and fiance to help lift but i did have to dump the water that i already put amquel and novaqua into.  :(  

i also had to tune the wet/dry and start it along with the eheim so that was a bit of a mess.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

wow-impressive.

But I must say...you owe it all to the helper babies. (:

It's looking good. Ps- I might be able to help you out with your light problem.
                  I have some extra bracket things that came with my light. Maybe you can use them. I'll PM you.
                  Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
                  Alexa Rae
                  Co-President of CAK
                  MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Sweet!

Oh btw, I just noticed something.. in the picture with the upset helper babies.. you can see a green bottle of pert.. this thread was made around the end of november... I still have that same bottle of pert in the same location.

I dont know if it's something to be proud of, or ashamed :P

In my defense, I really dont have a lot of hair, so I dont need a lot of shampoo ! Honestly I do bathe!

David Seratt
                    Co-President of CAK

Comment

So where are the new pictures?
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I've got the pictures taken, just have to wait till friday night to upload them :)

David Seratt
                        Co-President of CAK

Comment

well quite a mess and would love to know how the fish are doin and if you moved the puffer yet. and i think we can all agree puffers are both a pain sometimes and really really cool.
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President
                          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

oh yeah and headiusly pink carpet, but dont tell mrs ramius i said that.
                            Never fear I is here
                            David Abeles
                            Vice President
                            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                            X