Campaign to make fish stores more informative to buyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaign to make fish stores more informative to buyers

Check out this website. I found it on the Loaches online site. It is very interesting and makes you want to get involved.

Just wanted to share it with you all.

Re: Campaign to make fish stores more informative to buyers

I like it. Trying to get someone else to do something can be like pushing a rope though.

max

Comment

The guy behind this is definitely pushing rope all over the place! I have seen his posts on many different forums.

Comment

I have so much to say on this subject. But my ranting would just start an argument.

To sum it up though.. The people BUYING fish have as much responsibility as those selling them. Most won't bother reading the tag that says "maximum size 24 inches" or recomended tank size 30+  

I tell 2-3 people a day a Pleco isn't for their tank..

I could go on and on with horror stories i hear from customers but I won't

Fish stores do have a responsibility. But no matter how well they are trained or how hard they try the average buyer will change little.  But I'll keep trying
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
        n

Comment

I think that's really all any of us can do, gt3guru. Keep trying. Yes, the buyer also has a responsibility, of course, but if all sellers had your philosophy (and that of a great many, if not all, on this site) then I don't think there would be as many problems. I was in a store yesterday afternoon, and it had pacus for sale. Little, cute, 1.5" pacus. On the card, the tank size (minimum) said 30 gallons. Right underneath, it said potential size was 24". *Sigh* So I just wanted to say keep trying!  :emtthumbs:  8)
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I've always thought that a good idea is for places like Petsmart and Petco to provide information regarding local clubs and groups that new fish owners could go to for further questions and help.  

I don't think it would be to hard for retailers and local support groups to coordinate this.

Logan5
            There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Seems like the loosers are always trying to shift the blame to someone else.   If you take posession of something be it a lawnmower or a pet, you have the responsibility to provide proper care and maintaince of the item.
              Yes, mother nature is a hard teacher.   First she gives the test and then she teaches the lesson.  
              But assuming responsibility for an item requires that you learn what is required.  But there is no rule that you can't get on the internet and read ahead.
              The thing I love about the internet is that it's like a giant encyclopedia.  If you want information of anykind it is available.  
              So lets not whine about "I didn't know" or "They should have told me" when the answer is, "I didn't care enough to find out".
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I agree that buyers and sellers share a mutual responsibility in the purchasing process.  I thought of a few reasons why consumers (and possibly store management) may not worry about accurate POS information.

First, no one expects the fish to live long enough to get too big anyway.  The same folks who make poor fish selection decisions are likely to be the same ones to ignore good fishkeeping practices and their "pets" fall victim to neglect long before they reach maximum size.

Second, people fail miserably when planning ahead for most anything.  How many people plan adequately for important things like retirement, emergency cash, or loss of income?  If we don't plan for these things then why would we be more likely to plan ahead when buying a $5 fish?

Third, hearing or reading numerical information just doesn't mean much to a lot of people.  Remember... we live during a time when cashiers can't make change unless the computer tells them what to give back.  Far too many people lack an understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as measurement, volume, solution concentrations, fractions, percentages, and discounts.  I was in a store the other day and overheard a customer ask "This is marked down 50%.... how much would that be?"  A lot of people would benefit from "visuals" such as showing them what a 24" stick looks like in a 30 gallon tank.  I'm sure a lot of customers don't know the dimensions for a 30 gallon tank and I think you'd be surprised at how many people don't know the size of their own tank!

Oh well, I don't know if any of this makes sense but there's my 2 cents.

Comment

It's really hard as a novice fishkeeper to know who to trust and who to disregard. I wish there was a pocket book with all the tropical FW fish that I could carry with me so I would "really" know what was true. I recently bought some algae eaters that she swore she had and called them Flying Foxes. Well, that isn't what they are. I think they are false siamensis, and they don't do much for algae. I still like them. Now I try to do more research before I go. But I am still blown away at the LFS employee who sold me the common plecos and said they would get very large, and the one that sold me the Band-tailed tetra as a Graceful tetra and said it was a peaceful fish! Shame on them and shame on me.

Comment

Lots of places sell flying foxes as SAEs - be it intentionally or not. I have gotten one when I thought I purchased the other.  I thought that Flying Foxes were the same thing as false Siamese algae eaters though...

Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

No, the Flying foxes also have the black stripe that goes to the end of their tail.

Comment

Wow... and several other diferences too...
                        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I somehow can not bring myself to call people who go into the lfs, expecting them (the lfs) to be the fish "experts", losers. In truth they are losers, if you take into consideration the fact that the advice they receive will often lead to failure. I also can not blame them for not knowing enough to know that the advice they are being given falls somewhat short. I can not fault them for not doing the research when they think the questions they are asking is doing that research. I also can't see folks asking that the lfs be more informative being accused of shifting the blame for their own futile efforts. A lot of the individually owned and operated lfs here in town do give good advice, but some, including many of the large chain stores kind leave the customer hung out to dry. I can not say that some one who knows nothing about the hobby should not get involved until they know more, if we did that, we not need very many lfs to begin with.
                          GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Well said, Obed.

Ellen

Comment

It would be really nice if we had a set of laws that required truth in advertising and an agency that actually enforced that requirement, but here in the real world it just doesn't happen.  Weather it is the new super tool that will do everything, a used car only driven by a little ol lady on sundays or life saving surgery, we all know enough to get more information.
                              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                              X