filter suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filter suggestions

I am about to set up my 125 gallon tank for cichlids and would some suggestions on what type, size filtration I sould use.

Thanks for the help!

Re: filter suggestions

Personally, I would go with a couple canister filters such as the filstar xp3 or similar. Set one for a bottom pickup and one for a mid column pickup and you should be fine.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I just found a 125g myself while looking at a 90g

Here's how I plan to filter it.....

Eheim 2026
      At least a 30gal wet/dry,external overflow
      And probably an eheim classic 2213

Filstar xp3's are pretty cheap and if I wasn't getting a good deal on the 2026 I would go with 2 xp3's and the sump.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I put my vote in for the same - either Eheim or Rena Filstar.  :)
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Oh, and welcome to the site!
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'm partial to Eheim cannisters as well.  Since they are soooo quiet, I add a HOB with a bio wheel(s) to have the gurgling/splashing sound.
            Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

any particular reason why to have a sump? Two 2026s should be good right?

Logan5
              There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

The main reason for running a sump is to have a place to dose and to hide heaters, as well as serving as a refugium. With the flexibility of canisters now, that is really the only reason to run a sump. That hasn't always been the case tho. Sumps originally gave you the flexibility that canisters didnt as far as filtration media, peat additives, bio blocking, providing a convenient locvation for calcium reactors or skimmers, a hiden location for pickup and return to fluidised bed filters and on and on. for freshwater uses, a sump strictly speaking isn't a neccessity as most of these uses won't be applicable. With the options available for filter media now for canisters you can do all the filtratration now within the canister without having the need for the sump. For fresh water systems about the most usefull aspect of the sump is that it provides both an isolation area for injured fish and gives you a good location to absorb excess nitrates by placing plants in one of the chambers. The downside to a sump is that by its very nature it produces a large ammount of nitrates due to it being primarily a biological filter with a certain degree of mechanical filtration in the form of filter floss or fine grained sponges.
                Thats the long winded answer, short version, go with canisters and mix the media to cover all your bases without the drawbacks. I run both sumps and canisters, sumps are effective for multi tank setups where running canisters would be cost prohibitive, and canisters give a higher polish to single tanks where sumps arent really neccessary.
                Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

i run a wet/dry and it helps aerate the water as well as what scott has stated.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have an Emperor 400 and Magnum 350  is this enough?

Comment

I have an Emperor 400 and Magnum 350  is this enough?

Comment

Depends on your stocking levels of course, but for light stocking that should be plenty.

Comment

in my opinion, maybe if you will be stocking with guppies and mollies.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It's all time & money............
                            you can use a little filter if you clean it every day
                            but if you get a big one you can have more time to sit & watch your fish.
                            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

so is the emperor 400 THAT bad? lol, I heard it was pretty good, but that was the guy at petco...... he seemed geniune even tho I saw the same thing online at 40% of the price....

So WHAT METHOD WOULD you recommend for his 125 gallon tank for cichlids and say he FULLY wanted to stock it, 1" for 1 gallon being fully stocked.

Eheim 2026
                              At least a 30gal wet/dry,external overflow
                              And probably an eheim classic 2213

Filstar xp3's are pretty cheap and if I wasn't getting a good deal on the 2026 I would go with 2 xp3's and the sump.
                              So that is your plan..... why the 30 galon wet/dry vac and external overflow?

and why the eheim classic 2213 ?

IF Eheim 2026  is the best, and I don't know if it is, why not get 2 or three of those?? What does the

-30 galon wet/dry vac and external overflow?

and the

- eheim classic 2213

have that the eheim 2026 doesn't?

Again, just curious, trying to learn from someone who knows his stuff.....

I'm planning to get upto a 125-150 gallon tank now and stock it with clownfish and whatever else can live peacefully in there, and stock it as much as I can, I'd like to know what filters to invest in and WHY, and how effective they will be, how often to do 25% water changes, etc...

Peace~

Comment

Working...
                              X