Moss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moss

What is your favorite kind of moss? I had some java moss once - that was NOT a good experience! It was wild and nasty looking after a short period of time. Does anybody have a good general moss website? Does anybody keep moss with their fry? Can any of the moss stand to be in the mid-80's constantly? Any moss advice or tips?

Thanks!
    Ellen

Re: Moss

fissiden is nice, i have a little starter bunch thats growing out real nice.
    flame moss
    taiwan moss
    i have some java moss that is really nice
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

here are some pictures of the fissiden i have going....

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Does fissidens attach itself to object, or is it free floating?

I've always had good experiences with java moss, it makes its way into the majority of my tanks (and ALL of the tanks with fry). Lately, though, with all the new mosses, I'm shrugging away from the normal java moss. At the last couple of swaps, some people have brought Christmas moss, and I really like that one. It seems to stay together much more than java moss, and it's a little thicker, greener, and shaplier. In high light, java moss tends to grow upwards for me, but the Christmas moss seems to grow into a fuller appearance, not necessarily upwards.

I don't know of a good moss website, but I'd like to find one! And I'm not sure of the temperature requirements, but I wouldn't be too worried about higher temps, the mosses seem pretty hardy, IMO.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

fissiden is suppose to attatch itself but i wont be sure till mine settles in.

here's a cool website i found through google

aquaticmoss
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I saw that one - there's also one out there with microscopic view of the different mosses. It's funny how different they can look at the microscopic level! Thanks for the replies!

Ellen

Comment

Funny the topic of moss comes up.. I'm planning on constructing a moss wall in the near future. Seems to be a pretty simple deal.. anyone have any experience with this?
              Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
              Co-President of CAK

Comment

oops, on the page Ek posted theres a whole article on moss walls =)

David Seratt
                Co-President of CAK

Comment

think i read somewhere that xmas moss is the best to use for building walls.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hmm, a moss wall. With all the moss I have I think I finally have a use for it! Besides breeding snails that is.
                    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Whatever... You could build a moss house.. forget about the wall =)

David Seratt
                      Co-President of CAK

Comment

A removable moss wall might work really well with a fry grow out tank.....
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I use plastic moss a lot <sheepish grin>. It come in a variety of colors and forms, takes the heat, hides the fry, but best off all I can take it out and throw it on a newspaper while I am fishing out the fry without worring about it!

max

Comment

Marimo moss balls are my favorite, though I gues technically they're not a moss.  

I have three other kinds of moss, one of which is java.   The others I have no idea, but I have some guesses.  They are getting a bit unslightly since they are all free-floating, but eh, I figure I'd prune them once they get out of hand.

Comment

i have a bit of taiwan moss growing in my RCS nano thats starting to take off, i might move it to the bigger tank and see if i cant get it to grow a little faster.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X